Notices

Hood Won't Release on 95 GSR

Old 11-23-2004, 07:16 AM
bobsmith
'95 GSR Original Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Won't Release on 95 GSR -- GOT IT OPEN!!!

The hood won't open, and I desperately need to change the oil.

The release cable appears to be intact. When I look up at the hood latch mechanism while someone else pulls the hood release, the parts of the latch that are supposed to move appear to be moving just fine.

Something is stuck, though, because the hood doesn't pop up the way it should. I've tried prying it up, but it's stuck good.

I hate to take it to a shop for something like this.

Does anyone have any ideas about it?

Thanks!

Last edited by bobsmith; 11-29-2004 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody knows you, nobody is going to give you advice on how to pop yours or someone elses hood.

Kthanxbye.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:40 PM
bobsmith
'95 GSR Original Owner

But you're perfectly willing to give me advice about how I'm not going to receive any advice, right?

Thanks bud. h:

Like, do you think I am hoping to steal some swag out of someone else's modded teg?

Sheesh.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been here longer than you, its only been 10 months but ive seen a bunch of threads like this and none of them ever gave any advice on how to pop a hood that is "stuck." they all got locked within a day. like i said nobody knows you on these boards so nobody knows if you are good for it or not.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:21 PM
bobsmith
'95 GSR Original Owner

Fair enough... so what do I have to do in order to be considered "good for it"?

Perhaps I could relate stories about my 9 1/2 year love affair with my GSR? The story about how, after I changed the rear brake pads, I ended up cracking the rubber boot and rusting the wheel cylinder and piston, eventually forcing me to replace the entire unit... or the fact that I'm still running the original front brake pads after 115K miles, and there is life left in them yet... or how my ABS light comes on from time to time, but when I shut off and restart the engine, it goes out and stays out... or how I've got noisy vibration in the exhaust system at around 3200 rpm... or about how my GSR was included in the "vibrating A pipe" recall... Or perhaps I could discuss the 31 mpg I have experienced the entire life of the vehicle... or maybe the fact that the damn driver's seat is incomfortable because it's not symetrical, and I have fairly wide hips so my right hip bumps the internal frame of the seat... sigh.

But, basically, all it should take is some common sense... if I wanted to jack somebody else's car, I wouldn't give a shit about breaking anything. I'm asking for advice about opening the hood on my car -- in a way that won't break anything!!! And, as I stated, the cable works properly, so obviously I have access to the hood release.

IMO you're just being paranoid, or trying to find some way to belittle a noob.

I hope I'm wrong, but there it is.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Acuralover2004

Default d

wow...umm..ok

have you tried jacking the front end up and lookin from underneath with a flashlight? there are only 3 or 4 things keeping the hood from being opened, take a look, got a digital camera? take some pictures and post them...I would like to help but this prob is unusual..my teg right now actually has the opposite problem..it won't shut..I have to push and pull on the cord until I can rig it to close.

I Hope you fix yer problem! Good luck.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
bobsmith
'95 GSR Original Owner

Default Digital Pics... Great Idea!

Taking digital pics is a great idea, thanks! I have in fact used a light... I removed the plastic shield that protects the belts from exposure to crap coming up from the road, and had a good look. However, it's an awkward angle to really see anything.

Using a camera I'll take some pics and maybe see better what the problem is.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I've had that happen to a friend, the cord may be in tact but it can be loose somewhere along the line so when you pull on the tab from inside the cab your actually moving the whole cord and the insulator that it sits in. So it is not popping. So ideally the insulator stays put while the cord moves within it and pops the hood. Find where it has come unmounted and try to re-attach it, or use a zip strip as a temporary fix. My buddy just went to hood pins and bypassed the latch which worked fine and it was cheaper. Good luck!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 05:18 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I open the hood on my civic like nearly every day. I have never had a problem - knocking on wood -
but I mean really. How different can our latch systems be? I know there are a lot of things that contribute to these kinds of problems.
I hope it gets fixed, cause I'm tired of seeing this thread.
And I hope no one gets jacked.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM
bobsmith
'95 GSR Original Owner

Default I Finally Got It Open!

Turned out the hood release cable was OK... but the latch was gummed up so much that the spring that pops the hood wasn't strong enough to do it. I finally got it open by using a jack under the car, and a 28 inch long piece of pipe pushing up on the underside of the hood.

Just a little gentle convincing from the floor jack, and now it's open.

A big THANK YOU to those who offered constructive advice.

Bob

:blue: