Notices

thinner head gasket

Old 11-22-2004, 11:13 PM
gradebg96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinner head gasket

random thought just came to me today about head gaskets

94 ls, w/ CAI ACT HDSS n 9lbs flywheel

i was looking into them some and found a mugen 2 layer head gasket, i know the stock is 3 layer, and they say this will raise compression about .6 . That's not too bad of a raise for only 140$ w/o swapping out your pistons or something. So i was thinking about trying this with some ARP rod bolts just to be sure.

Will this even help at all though? Or will i only really notice it after some cams, valve springs n retainers? Cause if it'll do something, it doesn't seem like to bad of mod for being not to much money total. But then again I feel like i would've heard more about this if it was that effective.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:20 PM
dubcac
I

Not worth it IMO. You won't see much of a difference by just raising the compression a little bit. Also, I think you meant head studs and not rod bolts...or you're confusing the two.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:22 PM
gradebg96

haha yea i meant head studs
Old 11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
gradebg96

that works, guess ill try building an ls/vtec for under a k, try out one of those kits ive seen
Old 11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Tobra

I knew a guy who used to put a piece of paper on there for a gasket, it would not last, but it raised compression and power. He was running in a stock class, and no one every figured it out, just kept losing to him
Old 11-24-2004, 12:40 AM
gradebg96

haha dun think thatd be g0od for a street car tho,. maybe if i hit up the track a lil later
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by gradebg96
that works, guess ill try building an ls/vtec for under a k, try out one of those kits ive seen
Make sure you at least change out the rod bolts to ARP rod bolts. An LS block that is stock and has stock rod bolts won't take being revved to 8k very well.

Originally Posted by Tobra
I knew a guy who used to put a piece of paper on there for a gasket, it would not last, but it raised compression and power. He was running in a stock class, and no one every figured it out, just kept losing to him
That's interesting. What kind of car? I wonder if doing that on an interference engine could cause piston-valve contact.