Notices

Red Line Does Not Ping

Old 11-19-2004, 09:34 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Line Does Not Ping

I think the title explains it all. My ITR doesn't ping off the red line. It's stock, other than an AEM CAI. It'll go well beyond redline without cutting in & out. how far past 8400? I don't know, I don't want to take it that high. I've had it at 9000 on accident and it didn't cut off or anything. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 AM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pUrExTc
I think the title explains it all. My ITR doesn't ping off the red line. It's stock, other than an AEM CAI. It'll go well beyond redline without cutting in & out. how far past 8400? I don't know, I don't want to take it that high. I've had it at 9000 on accident and it didn't cut off or anything. Any ideas?
The tachy is off a bit, stock. Assuming there have been no modifications to your computer at all, that is probably what you're seeing.

My Hondata redline is set at 9000, but the car will appear to go to 9500 on the tach before the computer objects.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

with that in mind...after the engine is warmed, should i just try to run it until it pings?!?!

VTEC engagement is at 5700, right where it should be. help!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:37 PM
nsxtasy

Originally Posted by pUrExTc
with that in mind...after the engine is warmed, should i just try to run it until it pings?!?!
First of all, an engine "pings" when the fuel doesn't have high enough octane. If you're not referring to the rattling noise the engine makes in those circumstances, please don't use the word "pings". It's the wrong word for what you're talking about.

If you're really asking about whether you should rev your engine until the rev limiter kicks in, I would ask - why? Why risk damage (for example, if a previous owner messed with your ECU to remove the rev limiter)? In other words - why wouldn't you just upshift when you reach the redline indicated on the tach?
Old 11-21-2004, 12:03 AM
niterida

my type r does exactly the same thing, I wandered about this enough to put a $250 tack in it and my dash tack is way off. My vtec doesn't kick in until just after 6k according to my dash. But is should be at 5.7k
Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I wouldn't really keep driving up to redline and 'beyond' on a constant basis.

From what I gathered and experienced, the OEM tach is off by 300-500 RPM
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

VTEC kicks in as the tach reads 5700, so I don't think it's really that off. Perhaps, and this is a shot in the dark, the previous owner had tinkered with the ECU. Only reason I say this, is because I out ran another ITR (I'd say we're at the same driving skill) by bit in 3rd gear. Like I said, it's a shot in the dark, but who knows?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:54 PM
nightrider00R

Originally Posted by Max Windu
From what I gathered and experienced, the OEM tach is off by 300-500 RPM
roughly, but every r has a different accuracy.
regardless, i've only hit the rev limiter twice, and it was because it was on the dyno. it won't make you go that much faster. :shrug: