Notices

98 GSR Check Engine Light

Old 11-16-2004, 02:33 PM
OilCanBoyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GSR Check Engine Light

My check engine light went off and I think its because my wife filled it up and didn't tighten the gas cap down enough. The car runs fine. Is there a way to shut this off with out having to pay $80 to take it to a shop and run it through a computer?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 02:38 PM
dubcac
I

How to check:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

Code listing:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/05.php

Check the code and figure out what the problem is. It will throw a CEL if you don't tighten the gas cap all the way. To reset the ecu, pop the hood and go to the fuse box near the battery. Pull the 7.5A Backup Fuse for about 30 seconds, and pop it back in.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 PM
OilCanBoyd

Is the "cel" the check engine light? Is that the light that will flash to check the codes. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:42 PM
OilCanBoyd

Also I took a look at theose directions. I have a 98 GSR and just took a look under the glove box. Im not seeing the green box or that piece I am supposed to stick a paper clip in. If Im sitting in the passenger seat there is something that looks like you would hook a computer up to it right by my shin on the left hand side but its gonna take more than a paper clip.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
customintegra

Mine Comes On And Of Once And A While Its No Big Deal The Mechanic Said Dont Worry About It
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by OilCanBoyd
Also I took a look at theose directions. I have a 98 GSR and just took a look under the glove box. Im not seeing the green box or that piece I am supposed to stick a paper clip in. If Im sitting in the passenger seat there is something that looks like you would hook a computer up to it right by my shin on the left hand side but its gonna take more than a paper clip.
The connector is tucked up into the dash on the right hand side. If you look where the kickpanel is, go straight up into the dash. There should be a connector with a bright green rubber shield on it.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
OilCanBoyd

Thanks for all of the help!

The code it is throwing = 67

Catalyst system efficiency below threshold malfunctioning or defective catalyst system.

Ok so how much $. What does that mean and could it have anything to do with not tightening the gas cap enough?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:04 PM
dubcac
I

The gas cap being loose has a code that is all its own. That code you have has to do with the catalytic converter, not the gas cap. They are very expensive from the dealer. You can try to find a used one, or you can buy an aftermarket high flow cat. I would reset the ECU and see if the code comes on again.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:54 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

That might be covered by the emissions warrenty. It depends on the mileage of the vehicle though. what's your mileage? any acura dealer could tell you. Or better yet call acura's customer 800 number and give them your vin and ask how long the cat. is under warrenty for. Emissions related parts are covered for longer then the normal warrenty. I have installed cats on acura's under warrenty at over 100k. Even if it's no longer covered you should ask if they will goodwill it for you. they might pay for the part if you pay labor. labor should be less then an hour,at my dealer that's 90 bucks part is in the 700-900 range.you would be ahead of the game at 90 bucks.
reseting the light isn't going to do shit for you. It came on because the computer sees the cat. isn't working as it should be.