Notices

Finally, the piston ring thrend.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 PM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, the piston ring thrend.

Well I got lots of questions that I have searched loads for. First the helms description for identifying which rings are which suck. What the heck is a chamfer??The first and second ring are identical except for a small case t and a capital T?
What can I use to clean the little gaps on the piston?

Can I clean the top of my pistons, they have a lot of carbon build up on them, if I can, what can I use??

I mixed up my pistons and rods!! Don't yell at me please, I had them seperated, but in the process of the end gap measurement I mixed them up. How can i identify which one goes to which cylinder, can they be interchanged?? They both are marked 3.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:47 PM
dubcac
I

Look at this for ring pics/info. http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=326

As for cleaning your pistons, use a wire brush and some brake cleaner. There's no way to figure out which rod/piston went to each cylinder...should have marked them.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:39 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

that 3 (along with a letter stamped) indicates what size bearings to use.

the rods are all the same length. you can interchange them.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:28 AM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

"To properly install the rod caps a rod gauge stretch tool must be used. A rod when torqued down stretches, and a corresponding stretch length can tell the torque spec. This is the most accurate way to tighten a bolt down. Here is a pictorial reference of the rod stretch gauge tool used"

Ahhhh, what is this?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by dustimus
"To properly install the rod caps a rod gauge stretch tool must be used. A rod when torqued down stretches, and a corresponding stretch length can tell the torque spec. This is the most accurate way to tighten a bolt down. Here is a pictorial reference of the rod stretch gauge tool used"

Ahhhh, what is this?
Things like that make me afraid to rebuild my own engine h:
Old 11-05-2004, 09:24 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by dustimus

Ahhhh, what is this?
That is for when you are using new rod bearings. Since yours are used, they are fine, and they were properly stretched at the factory. What happens is under stress, new rod bearings stretch. The idea is to torque them down a number of times so that they stretch under your watch, instead of stretching while in the motor...kaboom. Most of the stuff on that page doesn't apply to you, since they were building a motor from scratch with new pistons/rods, balanced crank, etc. Just look at the rings section.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:28 PM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

I am using new rod bearings . The helms says nothing of this.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
dubcac
I

Did you get the correct bearings? Putting the bearings in is simple, you shouldn't have to size anything.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

Originally Posted by dubster99
Did you get the correct bearings? Putting the bearings in is simple, you shouldn't have to size anything.
Yes sir, two pairs of green bearings. In the link you gave me, it states how to differentate between the bottom oil rings. But not how to find out which compression ring goes on top??? The compression rings are both different, one has a grey ring on the outside, and one is all black.

Also, I have the correct sized bearings, I don't have to worry about any stretching or anything.

Also, the main girdle bearings?? Replace?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:38 PM
dubcac
I

If they look worn, replace them. There was a picture on that page differentiating the compression rings.

Top ring is copper, bottom is black/grey.