Notices

Changing rear rotors

Old 10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Tark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing rear rotors

How much time does it take? i know it depends on skills and so on but about how much time do you think it take. I got the front rotors changed at a mechanics, cost me 300cnd. not the back one are making noise and i don't want to pay to get them changed so i figured i could do it my self, just don't know how much time i should put to do it.
And is there something i should be careful with? or that i should do at same time?
Thank for any imput...
BTW Acura integ Ls 95
Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 AM
dubcac
I

It's not hard at all. Get a manual, it will show you every step that needs to be done. You'll need a hammer punch to get the rotor screws out. Be careful tightening the dust shield down, I overtightened mine and broke it...oops.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by dubster99
It's not hard at all. Get a manual, it will show you every step that needs to be done. You'll need a hammer punch to get the rotor screws out. Be careful tightening the dust shield down, I overtightened mine and broke it...oops.
thanks, I don't have a hammer punch, but i'll just get one...Hey do HAVE to change the pads? the only reason i am doing this is i think the rotor is "bent" as when i turn it i hear scraping noise, but not constant just a 1 point in the rotation... And when i back up is make CRAZY noise.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:33 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tark_o
thanks, I don't have a hammer punch, but i'll just get one...Hey do HAVE to change the pads? the only reason i am doing this is i think the rotor is "bent" as when i turn it i hear scraping noise, but not constant just a 1 point in the rotation... And when i back up is make CRAZY noise.
You really should always change pads if you're changing out rotors. Think of how your pads are warn from the bent rotor. They can cause problems with the new rotors. Pads are cheap for disc brakes anyway.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
You really should always change pads if you're changing out rotors. Think of how your pads are warn from the bent rotor. They can cause problems with the new rotors. Pads are cheap for disc brakes anyway.
:werd:

I would replace pads as well.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
will do then...
Old 10-30-2004, 08:55 AM
the1bolton

just on a side note often the screws holding in the rotors don't come off with the punch (I think mine were stuck on after 12 years or so?) I had to drill out the screws, just to let you be aware. (if you do that be VERY careful not to drill into your hub, costs lots more money if you screw that up).
Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Tobra

Spray penetrating oil on and let it sit. Even spray it on and drive the car to get the brakes a little warm. You can get a decent impact screwdriver for pretty cheap, but you should go and buy the screwdriver bits at Sears or something. I twisted off a few of the tips before I went to Craftsman bits. Also, go buy some spare screws, or even better replace them all, you will probably tear them up a bit. Take your time, allow for lots more time than you think it will take, replace both rotors on the axle and put on new pads. If you rub the used pads on the rotor and new pads, they will seat faster, it puts a small amount of the material on there and makes a noticable difference
Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM
dubcac
I

OEM replacement brembo rotors come with new screws. The rotors are cheap too, 30 bucks or less.