Notices

Cooling Fan Draining Battery

Old 10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
hilbelink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Draining Battery

1990 Acura Integra

Cooling fan turns on when car parked and ingnition off. It happens after many minutes and even an hour at rest. Can shut it off by restarting car. Interestingly, it happens more often on our cold rainy days here in the North West US. Taken it many times to a clueless mechanic who has replaced an innumerable number of things associated with the cooling fan but to no avail. Tempted to dive into it myself. Sucks jumping one's car in the cold rain.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Hmm, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. But you could always have a switch ran to the power wire so you could cut the power when you shut off your car.

duck squad member #00003
Old 10-27-2004, 04:46 PM
the1bolton

I don't remmember if I am thinking of another car but if I remmember correctlly when you turn off the car, the sensor warms up (the heat from the inner engine distributes itself before cooling) and so the car heats up and then the fan turns on to cool it off below the temp. (some kind of warning in a manual somewhere so that you don't get your arm stuck in the fan or anything while working on the car). it shouldn't stay on that long though... I'd look into finding out what components control that and check them out.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

You should look into this thread, specifically my post in it :
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...g+Control+Unit

The problem I was having was exactly the same as yours. The fan would stay on hours after I turned the car off and would eventually drain the battery. After replacing the Fan Timing Control Unit my problem went away.