Notices

auto tranny fluid change - hmm

Old 10-26-2004, 03:19 PM
ajbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tranny fluid change - hmm

i don't know alot about cars, so please don't flame me for my n00biness =D

so i was getting my oil changed, and this guy brings me outside

the guy reccomended getting my transmisson fluid changed REALLY soon, and showed me the colors, etc. mine was dark green kinda.. just a darkish almost black color, he said it should be pink - and that for a full flush that would get all the metallic pieces out, etc - would be 75$

he also reccomended a radiator flush, but said that's not immediate as the tranny fluid, and could wait

i just got the car 2 months ago. it's a 2000 LS with 48k miles, i have no idea if it's previously had a tranny fluid change - anybody with more knowledge than me have any suggestions? like should i just go ahead and do that?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:48 PM
jopa82

transmission fluid is red colored (they dye it to distinguish it from other fluids)... If mine were green, I'd change it fast.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by ajbrown
i don't know alot about cars, so please don't flame me for my n00biness =D

so i was getting my oil changed, and this guy brings me outside

the guy reccomended getting my transmisson fluid changed REALLY soon, and showed me the colors, etc. mine was dark green kinda.. just a darkish almost black color, he said it should be pink - and that for a full flush that would get all the metallic pieces out, etc - would be 75$

he also reccomended a radiator flush, but said that's not immediate as the tranny fluid, and could wait

i just got the car 2 months ago. it's a 2000 LS with 48k miles, i have no idea if it's previously had a tranny fluid change - anybody with more knowledge than me have any suggestions? like should i just go ahead and do that?

I'll check my helms manual when get home about the fluid flush schedule on an auto integra.

Anyways, I would call up your local Honda dealer for a price quote, if you didn't have the oil change done there. The reason is that most places use generic ATF fluid, and that stuff stinks. You should definately only use Honda ATF in your car. And Honda dealerships usually charge around that price.

And it never really hurts anything but your pocket book to do early oil changes. Though, I think the fluid flush cycle is 30K, but don't quote me on that one until I can check it

And one last thing... most repair places use the abigious color of fluids to sell you more services. For example, brake fluid AND motor oil both look really dirty really quickly, but their effectiveness isn't compromised until a chemical breakdown takes place that you really can't really see...
Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 PM
ls_101
integra fs

i had my fluid done by honda with honda fluid at 56,000 on my 1999 auto--my radiator was replaced at 56k also- so ur not that far off
Old 10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
ska32198

the honda fluid is better but the dealership only changes like 1/6th of it
Old 10-27-2004, 05:52 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

If it looks that way you should get it changed. In the back of the manual it will say how much fluid you need for a transmission flush. It's $4-5 quart, plus labor. That price might be just a bit high.

duck squad member #00003
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 AM
kidM0UA

them mechanics will try to sell you anything and everything they can..just becarefull
Old 10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
VPUPPY

they will only be able to change 3(2.9 or somthing) quarts out of the ~5(i think), not 1/6th. i have done a fluid change on a 2000 ls, and i was only able to change 3 quarts because the rest of it resides in the torque converter. now, what they can do is remove the 3 quarts, fill it up, drive for 30 mins or more, then change it again. this will dilute the fluid even more than just changing 3 quarts and in the end will be more effective in removing old fluid. this procedure seems lengthy, but i felt smoother shifting after the process was done.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 AM
ED9man
driver

you should change the transmission and get an extra pedal
Old 10-28-2004, 10:43 AM
b00gers

$75 is a bit much for a flush. I change my tranny fluids every 15k. It is $5 a quart from Honda or Acura dealers. And you are going to need 3 quarts. And most of the metallic shreds will stick to the drain bolt which is also a magnet.