Notices

New clutch/3rd gear grind

Old 07-22-2003, 04:56 PM
ImpulseITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really happy two weeks ago to drive home in a 2000 PY Integra type R. But as luck would have it, I managed to break within a few days when the clutch went out on me. I ended up dropping in an ACT 6-puck disc and heavy duty pressure plate. I know this is a little harsh but it's kind of a long story why I ended up with it. Anyways, now that I've put a few miles to break it in and seat the disc, when I shift into third gear from second at high RPM's the tranny grinds! It never did this before the new clutch. Do you guys think that adjusting the clutch will take care of this? Or is it possible that when the old clutch went, somehow it could have damaged a synchro, which seems rather odd to me. When the clutch went, I was shifting out of third gear and into fourth. When I went into fourth, the clutch pedal went soft to the floor and it wouldn't go into gear. When we took the factory disc out, the pads were broken apart. What do you guys think? It only grinds at high RPM's and it seems to do it every time. Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 08:24 PM
kabob

Dude, are you insane? My advice is that you get that 6-puck racing clutch out of your ITR as soon as it's feasible. Puck clutches clamp so hard that they can literally destroy the gears. They're tranny breakers, man
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 PM
ImpulseITR

Yes I'm insane. I was told by a few people that this was the way to go, combined with a great deal on the clutch with the fact that it was my only choice to get my car back on the road since it is my daily driver. It is way too rough though and I will be extracting it back out soon. I think I will keep the ACT pressure plate and use an OEM disc. But wight now I'm more concerned with the damn gear crunch!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:49 AM
Trey

Originally Posted by kabob
Dude, are you insane? My advice is that you get that 6-puck racing clutch out of your ITR as soon as it's feasible. Puck clutches clamp so hard that they can literally destroy the gears. They're tranny breakers, man
Not sure why you all think a clutch disk is going to break a tranny. The only time a clutch differes from another is at initial launch which is more drivier than clutch on the tranny. And the pressure plate that applies pressure while the car is spinning to resist slippage. The extra pressure shoudl hardly be putting undue stress on gears. I can't honestly think of a clutch that is going to break gears. It will shake the car apart.

The high RPM 3rd gear grind is fairly normal. The 2 suggestions I have seen short of replacing the synchro is add a little more tranny fluid or replace the fluid with GM Synchromesh (Friction Modified) which is supposed to be some of the best tranny fluid available (GM might not be able to build a good tranny so they focused on good fluid)
Old 07-23-2003, 04:50 AM
Erik B

This is a commen problem with ITR, the synchro is out. Mine went out in 5th gear for some reason :lol: .....warrenty covered it short shifter and all.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Dave-ROR

synchro is most likely.

too much pressure plate force will cause crank walk on some cars, never heard of that on a bseries motors. older years of my boosted beater and older miatas (90, maybe 91s) expereince it.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Trey

I think some DSM's have crank walk too.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:29 AM
ImpulseITR

What exactly is crank walk? I've never heard of that before.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Opie

Originally Posted by Trey
I think some DSM's have crank walk too.
Trey, you are very correct. My buddies eclipse is in the shop more than on the street. However, I do disagree with your thought on clutches not blowing tranny's. I blew 2 tranny's in my VW before I realized that the clutch I was using would clamp so harsh over stock that is was causing the tranny mounts to crack, and eventually lead to it blowing. Granted, the clutch wasn't what actually blew the tranny, but is was the main contributing factors..
Old 07-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Trey

a VW and a DSM and a Honda (Most specifically Bseries) are very different monsters. a harsh clutch in a bseries tranny is not going to break or damage much of anything if you can control yourself. The setup is very resiliant and the clutch pressure won't break a mount on these cars.