Notices

DC5 Type-S into R

Old 07-15-2003, 03:50 PM
ricky1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are a lot of things that need to be done to make this happen. I am wondering if anyone knows if I remove the moonroof from the car and make it into a regular roof would the cutting for the moonroof still affect my handling or would it be negated. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:11 PM
hondafanatic

I dont think that moon roofs necessaraly decrease strengh as add weight and parts that are unnecessary.

the thin sheetmetal that the roof is made of is not going to transfer any load without buckeling. its the thicker sheemetal and where it folds near the pillars that provide the stiffness.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by hondafanatic
I dont think that moon roofs necessaraly decrease strengh as add weight and parts that are unnecessary.

the thin sheetmetal that the roof is made of is not going to transfer any load without buckeling. its the thicker sheemetal and where it folds near the pillars that provide the stiffness.
Actually the sunroof goes right where a cross beam would go on a lot of cars. Not sure about the DC5 though.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:25 AM
George Knighton

Originally Posted by ricky1969
I am wondering if anyone knows if I remove the moonroof from the car and make it into a regular roof would the cutting for the moonroof still affect my handling or would it be negated.
In theory, an open moonroof increases the body flexing in extreme maneouvres.

However, with the new designs like the DC5 and the EP3, the chassis are a lot stiffer than the older DC2, and I'd guess that the main reason the DC5-R doesn't have a moonroof has more to do with weight and kafuffle and less to do w/chassis rigidity.

My EP3, even with a moonroof, is pretty darned stiff. Jack Harris thinks the EP3 (with always has a moonroof in USDM), is the best, stiffest Honda chassis ever, out of the box.

I'm not really sure what your goals are, here, but if you're just trying to get DC5-R performance out of your RSX-S, I really wouldn't worry about the moonroof so much. I don't think you lose that much chassis stiffness because of the moonroof, and whatever flexing exists because of the moonroof is virtually negated when the roof is closed.

Does the RSX Base have a moonroof? If you're really determined, maybe one of these would be a better starting point for your project.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:03 AM
sscguy

Kafuffle? Must be an old guy thing.... :wink:
Old 07-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by sscguy
Kafuffle? Must be an old guy thing.... :wink:
lol

it means confrontation, fuss, chaotic situation, et cetera.

the way whorehey was using it I assume he meant "fuss".
Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 AM
sscguy

It's an actual word? I just assumed it was some sort of slang...heh heh heh
Old 07-17-2003, 06:42 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by sscguy
It's an actual word? I just assumed it was some sort of slang...heh heh heh
it is slang I believe.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:57 PM
ricky1969

Thanks for your help everybody. i am just interested in having a older GEN honda and a new Gen Honda. I like the RSX betta then I do the SI Civic. Late to all. I cant wait to meet w/ some of you all.