Notices

Altenator- NO GOOD!!!

Old 03-24-2003, 12:38 PM
hopofthese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up guys

I need suggestions. My altenator is no good and i dont know if i should buy a new one or buy a rebuilt one? And does anyone know where i can purchase one for cheaper. thanks.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Aj

well, how the heck did you kill an alternator...well I gues I can't talk, I used to kill em' all the time on my truck from my system, I just thought it was pretty tough to do on a Honda. Any way, you can get aftermarket alternators new for about the same price as a rebuilt honda one, just look around. I'd start with Summit racing, sears, discount auto. In that order, Summit will have some nice ones, sears will have upgraded replacements, and if all else fails, there is always discount auto.

Good luck,
Aj
Old 03-24-2003, 09:58 PM
hopofthese

I got my ITR used and i think the altenator was not good from the beginning because when i bought my 98 ITR with 15k miles the previous owner told me that the car was mostly garage kept and that he would barely used it. I got tv,dvd, and i am planning to get some speakers and an amp. to replace my factory system. Do you think a rebuilt altenator will do the job?

thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Aj

well, yes, but, let me ask you, what signs do you have that it's bad. because, unless it's left you stranded, or it's not charging, it sounds like you're being paranoid???? Is it actually bad, or are you just assuming it is??? Alternators when they go bad, dont work at all. when it comes to electricals, it's usually all or nothing, this is the case with alternators. it won't charge intermitantly, either it works or doesn't. If it is now, dont screw with it!! As I always say, dont fix it if it ain't broken. I run a TV, 2 amps, and EQ, a play station, fog lights, HIDs, laser scramblers, amongst other electronic crap I probably don't need, and mine seems to be holding up just fine.

You may want to invest in like a 1 farad cap or something. The more the better assuming you don't mind the weight. If you do, look into those liek 15 farad capacitor boxes, they don't weigh a lot, and pack loads of power. They're just mad loot..

Later,
Aj
Old 03-25-2003, 08:23 AM
hopofthese

Well, I tested it with a tester and the altenator is weak and is not charging like is suppose to. Its even draining my battery. The car has already left me stranded near home. And I dont want to buy capacitors because they are too expensive and i am trying to stay as far as i can from adding to much weight to the car.

Is it worth buying a new altenator or is a rebuilt just as good???

thanks
Old 03-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Aj

rebuilt is ok, but how much is it costing you???? I get 20% of Acura parts if that helps, you can just order it from my account at the dealer near me if you want.

Later,
Aj
Old 03-26-2003, 03:28 PM
hopofthese

well a friend of mine can get me a rebuilt one for $120. My uncle works in an acura and they told him they can give it to him for $220. I think i am just going to go with the rebuilt one. Thanks a lot for offering me access to your account though.

Now there is one more thing bothering me. I have the helms manual and in there it says that you should use a BELT TENSION GAUGE to tension the belt properly. Is it that big of a deal if i just tension it without it. Is it going to affect anything at all.

thanks
edgar
Old 03-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Aj

hhahahaha, I didn't even know there was a tool for it, but I guess, if you have access to one, by all means, other wise, I've been replacing belts for a number of years without one...

Later,
Aj
Old 03-26-2003, 10:14 PM
hopofthese

thanks man you been real helpful. One more thing, I just want to know ahead of time is it going to be a bitch to take off the alteantor itself from the car?

thanks in advance
edgar
Old 03-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Aj

well.....hehehe, I guess it depends on how good you are at working in tight places. I think if you remove the brackets and get a little creative you can do it. I think according to the Honda service manual I thumbed through it says you need to either remove like and axle or your manifold or something like that, I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe the header, I remember it being a pain in the ass, although we had the head off any way when I did it on my car, so at that point it was a joke. I'm really not sure, I've never tried replacing one when it was in the car????

I'd pull off all the bolts, remove the brackets, and then see if you can wiggle it out through the bottom or top, or how ever you can get it out before you start removing shit though.

Let me know how it turns out, and what you had to do.

Later,
Aj