Notices

Importing a Canadian R to Texas??

Old 03-18-2003, 07:51 PM
40calpal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no luck buying a R down here in southern Texas and thought about importing one From Canada since they come in the Rightous Championship White in later years. I need to know if there are any dutys i would have to pay, what would all this cost just for shipping and taxes. Also does the Canadian version pass US emissions? Thanks for any info.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Type R 98

stop stealing our canadian R's!!!!

lol
Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 AM
cronic

OK How it works is.. depending on wheather it is a private sale or not and the province you will have to pay either one or two taxes on the car. Then you will have to get the gages and a bunch of other stuff changes to US styles (cost you a few hundred CND). Then when you go back over the boarder you have to pay duty on the car BUT you get the taxes back. So bascially they cancel each other out.
Emisions, gernally Canadian standards are WAY higher than US. Then again this depends on the province and location. Toronto's standards are inline with California's. However, our regulations on gas are tougher so either way I doubt there will be issues with emisions.

But then again, STOP STEALING our cars! lol :twisted:
Old 03-19-2003, 08:22 AM
DeanO

I am one of the "ugly Americans" who stole one of Canada's national treasures...a 2001 Championship White Type R (6k miles).

Dean

Old 03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
40calpal

i have to give out a bump to that!!! Nice
Old 03-19-2003, 06:50 PM
kabob

You won't have to modify anything except maybe the gauge cluster as mentioned above. Mechanically, the U.S. and Canadian ITR's are identical; it's just a matter of dealing with the paperwork, duties and taxes. Good luck getting warranty coverage, though... all that is up to the specific dealership's discretion :?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 PM
snookerblack7

That's the sweetest of all the models with those red seats!! I know 'cause I've got one too!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:18 PM
danelot

Originally Posted by kabob
You won't have to modify anything except maybe the gauge cluster as mentioned above. Mechanically, the U.S. and Canadian ITR's are identical; it's just a matter of dealing with the paperwork, duties and taxes. Good luck getting warranty coverage, though... all that is up to the specific dealership's discretion :?
You don't need to modify anything on an ITR to import. The car must have two things. Dual airbags and a speedo that has mph. The R has both. The mph smaller, but acceptable. Get yourself an importer. They will arrange to pay tax and duty as well as provide you with paperwork to register the car in the US. All they will need is some specs on the car and proof there are no recalls on the car. This can be done from a Canadian dealership. PM me if you want the importer I used. They are in Upstate NY
Old 03-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Beasty18C5

DeanO u thief :lol:
Old 03-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Type R 98

i personally think in terms of nicest model with north america's front end i have to go with UK models that are the same white color, dunno til what year, but have recaro red seats! which are better then the cheap integra seats we get that get your helpers face in the passanger window at every corner even if their red!