Notices

High Idle after driving around, normal idle when car is first started

Old 03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Chris N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle after driving around, normal idle when car is first started

After my Dukes of Hazard experience... I now have an odd idle I'd like some help with.

History - My clutch sucks. Many people who have driven my car say so. It's on its last leg. It didn't help that I came down Mont Eagle on I-24 in Tennessee with the car in gear, basically letting the car's force rest on the clutch, lol.

So... after the 'crash'.

My car would idle between 1500 and 2500. It would not fluctuate at all. Sometimes it would fall off after a while, but never fluctuate. Sometimes I start the car, and it idles just fine at 800-1000. But after driving around, it almost always sits at 2000. If I hit the throttle, it may return to normal or lower than 2000, but not always.

Now, weird stuff.

When I'm driving around, everything feels fine until you are engine breaking at 3000 or below. The car almost maintains a constant speed with my foot off the gas. It's really weird. If I'm on the brakes and in gear, you can feel resistance. The car can't accelerate if I took my foot off the gas at 2000rpm, but it would not decelerate as fast, and its VERY noticeable.

When I pull it out of gear into neutral while stopping or moving, usually it sits at 2k. No CEL, no anything. Totally normal except for this.

Ideas?

Recap: High idle after driving around. Normal idle when the car is first turned on. I can get the idle low again by hitting the throttle quickly at about 50%, but it doesn't work 100% of the time. No damage to the block, nothing looks damaged on the radiator save for the fan shroud, which partially melted the very end.

I also have some very minor clutch creep. I can pull my foot almost all the way off the clutch with no gas and the car will move a bit, but it will die if I pull my foot off quickly. I think this is unrelated to the fact that my car wants to idle at 2000-2500 and won't engine brake as much as it should (due to the idle?) below 3000.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Asahi
Administrator

Reset your ECU. If it is still doing it my guess would be the Idle Air Control Valve
Old 03-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Chris N

Asspenny said TPS or Throttle Cable. Thoughts?

What would I check on the IACV? Clean it? replace? Kick it?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Asahi
Administrator

Only think with IACV I have sen done is tightening a screw that can come loose. Not sure it can be cleaned. Good question on the TPS. Not sure you can do much other than test the TPS voltages and that will be hard to do while driving
Old 03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Originally Posted by Asahi
Only think with IACV I have sen done is tightening a screw that can come loose. Not sure it can be cleaned. Good question on the TPS. Not sure you can do much other than test the TPS voltages and that will be hard to do while driving
Just out of curiousity doesn't a VAFC display TPS voltages?

duck squad member #00003
Old 03-25-2004, 02:51 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

same thing happened w/my Lude.. no cell etc. Idle was very erratic. when stopped @lights it would fluctuate very quickly.. up to 2k back to 800ish..

It would go away if I pulled the ecu fuse, or reset the battery.

I took it into the dealer for a free service thing, and had them check it out they claim it was an uncapped vacuum hose. When I changed to my CAI I capped the line on the TB, but it must have fallen off somewhere down the line..
Old 03-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Chris N

Thanks d00ds. I'll check all that stuff when I get home. Maybe something came l00se from my flight over the berm.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Asahi
Administrator

Originally Posted by 94civicEX

Yes but Chris doesn't have a VAFC.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:18 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Originally Posted by Chris N
Maybe something came l00se from my flight over the berm.
Probable :nervous:

Originally Posted by Asahi
Yes but Chris doesn't have a VAFC.
I see, I see...just curious though .

duck squad member #00003
Old 03-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Chris N

Originally Posted by 94civicEX
I think it does....

Quick Reply: High Idle after driving around, normal idle when car is first started