Notices
Hybrids Insight, Civic Hybrid, Accord Hybrid, & the CRZ: Go Green!

Honda gears up to electrify winter with hybrid snowblower

Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda gears up to electrify winter with hybrid snowblower

Filed under: Etc., Hybrid, Honda

With cars like the Insight, CR-Z and Civic Hybrid, Honda is certainly no stranger to hybrids. But their latest isn't a hatchback. It's not a sedan. It's not even an SUV. In fact it's not a car at all. It's a snowblower.

The Japanese industrial giant, as you may well be aware, makes a lot of things besides cars. It makes motorcycles, for starters, not to mention ATVs, marine engines, personal watercraft, jet airplanes, robots, and all manner of power equipment. Stuff like generators, lawnmowers and snowblowers.

This latest model is called the HS1336i, and it joins the Insight, CR-Z et al in Honda's hybrid line-up. It's powered by a combination of iGX390 four-stroke OHV engine and a pair of electric motors. The gasoline engine drives the auger and fan, and charges the battery that powers the electric motors driving the tracks. During deceleration, the engine acts as a generator and even the braking energy is recuperated to recharge the battery. How insightful.

Call it the hybridization of power equipment, then, and you can read more about it in the press release after the jump, and scope it out in the high-res image gallery for a closer look.Continue reading Honda gears up to electrify winter with hybrid snowblower

Honda gears up to electrify winter with hybrid snowblower originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 18:06:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 PM
inlemonlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda gears

Its a corded snow blower. It is definitely not as big as this monster, but it will clear snow up to 10". Mine works great and I live in Chicago. It has no fumes, Starts by just plugging it in and holding the lever. Its quite, and powerful for such a small machine.