Notices
Hybrids Insight, Civic Hybrid, Accord Hybrid, & the CRZ: Go Green!

Mugen promises "Type R-like" performance from hotted-up Honda CR-Z

Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen promises "Type R-like" performance from hotted-up Honda CR-Z

Filed under: Hybrid, Honda

Mugen Honda CR-Z sketches - Click above for high-res image gallery

Not to be a total buzzkill, but before we tell you about Mugen and its plans to create a hotter Honda CR-Z hatchback, there's one little line in the automaker's press release that needs to be noted in italicized type:
At this stage, the CR-Z Mugen is being developed purely as a one-off prototype, with no plans for a production version.

Drat.

Honda may call its 2011 CR-Z a "sport hybrid," but ever since our first time behind the wheel, we've felt more than a little disappointed. It's an enjoyable enough steer, but remains in dire need of some more oomph, and even with the automaker's Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system on board, the resulting fuel economy isn't as great as one might expect for a car of its size and utility.

Honda tuning house Mugen Euro is set to rectify the need for a CR-Z with more spice - in concept form, anyway - with a hotted-up hatch that will debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July. Mugen will offer enhancements for the CR-Z's 1.5-liter engine and IMA system to boost both horsepower and torque - creating "Type R-like performance" - while new brakes and suspension geometry will better communicate the added power to the driver. Mugen even says that these changes could result in improved fuel economy, though no official statistics have been divulged as of this writing.

So what if there aren't any plans for production (just yet). At least we know Honda has heard our cries. Follow the jump for the full press blast.

Live images copyright (C)2011 Steven J. Ewing / AOL

[Source: Mugen Euro]Continue reading Mugen promises "Type R-like" performance from hotted-up Honda CR-Z

Mugen promises "Type R-like" performance from hotted-up Honda CR-Z originally appeared on Autoblog Green on Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
delaford321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm disappointed because that looks cool and I want to test drive one, but it sounds like they're focused on quality. So, I'll wait, and keep driving my fit.