Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Caution on Powdercoat valvecovers

Old 10-01-2003, 07:41 AM
sshonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caution on Powdercoat valvecovers

Just a word of "CAUTION" to all who have interest in adding a powdercoated valve cover to their engine. I just recently purchased one on Ebay from Powder-Blast-Co, 930 Driftwood Dr. Lincoln Neb. (402-488-9561) and according to them they throughly clean then bead blast and re-clean their covers before coating for resale. Well after installing it and driving the car for around 300 miles it appears the cover was not completely clean of all blasting dust hidden in the plate covered pockets on the underside the cover. Away it went down into the motor and a total engine re-build is now in order. My point is make sure if you plan to install one, to either purchase one where the bead blasting process is not used on the cover and or before you install it make sure and dismantle the pocket covers and clean them throughly yourself. From my new experience (I was not aware of the bead blasting process used on the cover) it appears Powder-Blast-Co is not interested in justifying the damage done from their product and I certainly don't want this to happen to anyone else.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

there's ebay for ya
Old 10-02-2003, 07:39 AM
sshonda

Ya No Fun and PowderBlastCo is not interested in rectifing the damage done from their product even though they created the problem. Their comment to me was " We do so many of these we don't have the time to make sure all of them are clean of damaging material" What's that tell you? Quality control is "ZERO" and they don't care if their product has this material in it or whether it does damage. They're putting the responsibility of this on you the consumer for what they should be doing with their product before they send it out. Unfortunately the layman consumer doesn't understand their process and assume's the product is ready for installation like most products are. Add note there was no indication this cleaning process was needed as the product was delivered.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:41 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles, but I have some advice that could help, maybe.

I would seriously consider legal action, specifically with regard to" fitness for purpose" and / or "merchantablity". If they don't explicitly advise their customers to re-clean the head cover, they are open to signifcant liability.

Find a lawyer that would agree to a percentage of the settlement as compensation (a good motivator for lawyers to work efficiently) and go after these dolts.

My 2.3˘

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:35 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

damn man sorry to hear that
i have a JDM type S valve cover in my engine bay
it's OEM Honda and colorfade and particles are no problem
spend a little more
saves much much grief:thumbup: