Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

up in flames.....literally

Old 09-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Iceberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up in flames.....literally

well, i finally got my integra running w/ 2 weeks to spare....so, i decide it's in running condition enough to take her for a test drive..........so my brakes end up being locked...add fluid...get in to try and move it............doesn't move...

well....my engine dies, gas light comes on....check engine light comes on......
so i'm like what the ****.......pop the hood....notice the smoke bellowing out......nothing on the header, i come to realize my cars in flames....look underneath.............. flames......dart to my house, grab anything and everything to put it out....my mom calls the fire dept...............they show up...rip out my backseat, and spray it down.......i have a 3- 5" puddle of what in my car......

as it turns out.... my fuel pump/sending unit shorted out, and the wiring harness went up into flames...........back seat......

so, my question is, is there a recall or anything on that?????

and for anyone who has rebuild their engine, what's the easiest way to get the timing perfect........mine is backfire in the intake, and exhaust.........i need a easy way to do it, everything i put the belt on, the exhaust slips, and the intake slips.......

just looking for some help

thanks
Eric
Old 09-24-2003, 10:07 PM
AwwsChwA

Don't know what to tell ya bout your electrical fire, that sucks man. But, as far as your timing belt goes, it sounds liek you're tensioning the belt before you've got all the slack taken out.

When you put the timing belt on, you want to make sure that cylinder No. 1 is at TDC, and that both timing marks on the cam gears point where they're supposed to (I'm not sure where they point, I drive a SOHC).

Once you've got everything lined up, you want to slip the belt in place. The engine turns forward, so what you want to do is take all the slack out of the front side of the belt first. Get the belt over all the gears. Get the teeth set into the crank gear, and then pull the belt straight up toward the exhaust cam gear (don't pull forward or the crank may rotate). With the belt sitting on the crank and exhaust cam gears, pull straight back and set the teeth into the intake gear. You want to make sure that the belt has less than one tooth worth of slack. Make sense?

Then you take the slack out of the rear of the belt (side facing the firewall) by tightening the tensioner. Hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain without pictures.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Iceberg

no...no that's what i was doing wrong.........

actually...........................

i placed the belt on the crank.......pull up....onto the exhaust camshaft.... than when i go to put over the belt over the intake cam, the exhaust rotates like 1cm........than i go the rest of the way..............

i'll try it again, and again til it's perfect............

thanks buddy...

Eric
Old 09-25-2003, 04:57 PM
AwwsChwA

The big thing is do not let the cams rotate. I know you already know that, but speaking from experience, that's harder than it sounds. Hope everything works out.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Iceberg

i was talking to a mechanic friend of mine, he told me to see how far off the cam will rotate when slipping the belt on....and then adjust it the opposite way, so the when the cam slips, it will be exactly on, so that's what i'm gonna try......................................if that don't work, adjustable cam sprockets might work.......

Later

Eric