Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Auto standing at signal: In Gear VS Neutral

Old 09-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Prince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto standing at signal: In Gear VS Neutral

Someone got into this discussion with me that when you stop at a signal and signal has just turned red (so it will be a min or so before you actually need to move the car again).

-you should put it in "N" gear? because if its in "D" its constantly putting pressure on "cluth plate"?

My understanding was, cluth plate (for manua/auto) is used only when you switch gears? so changing gears when not needed is actually making your clutch gear worked more...

Anybody wants to concur with me?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Leave it in "D."

Automatics do not have a clutch, they have a torque converter. It does not wear like a clutch.

Automatics were designed to let complete idiots drive a car (no offense to you, of course) and only need to be moved between "P" and "D." When you are out driving, leave it in "D," when you park, put it in "P." Nuetral is really only there for when the car is towed or needs to be pushed.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Prince

Makes sense. I totally agree with you auto is for idiots. I sold my mx6 and got stuck with this for now (integra , auto). I just paid down on a 98 accord (leather, 5spd!!, vtec) looking forward of having that until i hit 25 so i can afford incurance on prelude!

Since you know about trasnmission, can you fwd me some info about how transmissions work? specifically, how does transmission rpm is synched with engine's? (seen howstuffworks.com articles, need more technical stuff)

Also, making Another Post about another situation that I will be encoutering tomrrow can you plz help. V.important for me. Thanx
Old 09-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I have no idea how a synchro actually works, I have just enough knowledge to know what is going on inside of them and how they generally work. I've always wondered how a synchro synchonizes too.:dunno:

Maybe I should buy a crapped out transaxle and rip it open... nah, I have more pressing issues to deal with, like an EW/ZC hybrid or my RX-7.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:28 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

Originally posted by Prince
Makes sense. I totally agree with you auto is for idiots. I sold my mx6 and got stuck with this for now (integra , auto). I just paid down on a 98 accord (leather, 5spd!!, vtec) looking forward of having that until i hit 25 so i can afford incurance on prelude!

Since you know about trasnmission, can you fwd me some info about how transmissions work? specifically, how does transmission rpm is synched with engine's? (seen howstuffworks.com articles, need more technical stuff)

Also, making Another Post about another situation that I will be encoutering tomrrow can you plz help. V.important for me. Thanx
is that y all the guys in prostock use auto trannys?
Old 12-08-2003, 07:20 AM
habitatsk8r392
Certified Ricer

Originally posted by Kai
I have no idea how a synchro actually works, I have just enough knowledge to know what is going on inside of them and how they generally work. I've always wondered how a synchro synchonizes too.:dunno:
Pretty much my understanding is that the shift fork moves the synchro and the synchro ring (the part that usually wears out) engages, and is pressing on the gear, bringing the gear "up to speed", or in other words, synchronizing the speeds of the gear and the synchronizer assembly, before it engages. The gear does not move to engage, the sleeve portion of the synchronizer assembly does the moving.

I know its not a great explanation so heres a URL
http://users.erols.com/elans4/Transmission.htm

but serioulsy :gives: its not like im going to be working on my own damn transmission anyway.