Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

EGR Failure

Old 09-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Phat8186

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Failure

Ok I have a 96 EX 5spd Accord sedan, and the EGR valve when to shit. My question is can I get a EGR valve from any other 5th gen. OR does it have to be exacutly the same year my car is or just as long as I got it from another vtec 5th gen 5spd engine. Can someone please get back to me it would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Oh also one last thing is it good to get it used to save money since they are kinda expensive or just spend the doe and buy it bran new thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Hold'em

Your car has a 150k mile extended warranty on all emission related items.

How do you know your EGR valve is bad? It's common for the EGR ports to be clogged with carbon but it's not very common for the valve to go bad.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:06 PM
crxb16er

or simply the hose blows off and throws the egr code on the ecu, easy fix reconnect the hose
Old 09-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Phat8186

well i checked the codes and it is throwing out the code for the EGR valve. on top of that I also cleaned the EGR ports for carbon buildup and then a day later the code came right back up check engine light. this is why I have my query
Old 09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Redlinerz

I have heard before that you dont even need to have a EGR. I dn't know how true it is but that is what a local mechancic has told me. Do you think it is sae tp run it with no egr ???
Old 09-15-2003, 08:18 AM
91Accord
Huh???

If you have smog or emissions inspections there, it will never pass without one.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
accordhybrid

Yes you can get an ERG for any 5th gen the only difference will be the plug and all you need to do is just cut and splice the wires together and you will be good to go, I had to do this before my swap. And if you don't have emissions testing then you can just remove it.

Accordhybrid
Old 09-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Hold'em

Originally posted by Redlinerz
I have heard before that you dont even need to have a EGR. I dn't know how true it is but that is what a local mechancic has told me. Do you think it is sae tp run it with no egr ???
Certain manufactures do not use an EGR system (they engineered an engine that will pass emissions without one) but that does not mean you can bypass the EGR valve on any car.

The obvious reason is you will fail the NOx test but the not so obvious reason is the engine could 'ping' under load. Since the EGR lowers combustion chamber temperatures, an engine with carbon build-up in the combustion chamber or the timing out of spec might not ping with the EGR system working properly but it almost certainly will ping if it is disconnected. If you could run 87 octane with the EGR working properly you may need to run a higher octane without it.