Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Exhaust problems

Old 09-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Elevatorguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust problems

Guys,
I am replacing the muffler assembly on a 99 Civic EX with the V-TECH engine. When taking the muffler off, I tried unbolting the hardware from the muffler side of the flange (where the small coil springs are on the special bolts). Well, both of the "bolts" broke off just where the threading starts on the. Yes, the muffler is off, but the remainder of the hardware is still in the nuts that are on the flange coming from the resonator. My question is this. Are the nuts on the resonator side of the flange welded on to the flange itself or are there supposed to come off? I got onto them pretty well with a 15mm wrench and they didn't want to budge. If these are welded onto the flange, how do I go about removing the rest of the bolt? There is about 3/4" of the bolt sticking out the back of the nut and I tried, with no luck, to spin them out with a pair of vise-grips. Any help will be graetly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 PM
minh80

the nuts on the other side of the flange are supposed to be welded on there, i know cuz i have taken my exhaust apart and rebolting it with a rear section exhaust. As for the broken bolt that is stuck on the hole or nut, just bring it to the shop , what they'll do is heat up the busted bolt and twist it off. the Exact situation happend to me, so good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Elevatorguy

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to avoid taking it into the shop at all. I'm looking for a trick to getting the broken bolts out.

Thanks,
Todd