Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Head machining

Old 09-06-2003, 07:47 PM
AEM DA Teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head machining

I was wondering if anyone has some VALID input as to how much i can shave off my B18A's head keeping in mind i may get some higher lift cams down the road i don't mind using 94 octane but no race gas
Old 09-07-2003, 08:07 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

High lift isn't really a concern. What is a concern is how agressive the ramp speed will be, and how much lift and duration the valve overlap will be, since that is going to determine how close the piston will get to the valves. Keep in mind also that shaving the head will retard the cams, so you'll need cam gears to compensate, and some stiff valve springs to eliminate the possibility of float.

Also keep in mind that you can always remove material, but it's much harder to add it back. I would suggest raising your compression ratio with pistons, and only shaving the head enough to ensure flatness.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:59 AM
AEM DA Teg

thanks a lot i had never thought of those variables you seem like quite the conaisseur, could you tell me where i could find the cheapest oem honda top end gasket kit no "fail-pro" the cheapest i've seen is at inlinefour.com thanks in advance