Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

91 Accord stumble - need some help

Old 09-04-2003, 06:27 PM
clsdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord stumble - need some help

91 Accord stumble - need some help quote:

I originally posted this in the Accord forum but found it is more appropriate here ( Accord forum thread https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=92608 ).

I need some help identifying a problem with my wife's 1991 Accord DX. Occasionally it will stumble under load only when hot and in the RPM range of idle and 1800. It started some time after another problem was resolved and I think they are not related.

The car started bucking and stalling at low speeds. It happened a few times then the check engine light came one indicating crank sensor and another sensor in the distributor. I expected the ECU to be bad since two sensors usually will not fail at the same time.
I took the distributor cap off and found a little oil and some metal filings. With 95,000 miles I didn't want to put $500 worth of new distributor in so I picked up a used one at the auto salvage yard for $175. It was in very good shape and my distributor seemed to be seized when I got it out.

Some time after changing it I believe I started having the occasional stutter problem. Maybe it's more like a quick stumble. I replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor which didn't solve the problem. No check engine or code on the ECU. I swapped the ECU with a used one, again another $175. That also did not resolve the problem.

There is a service bulletin for the EGR passage ports possibly clogging and causing this or a similar problem. I checked the EGR (good) and pulled the four aluminum plugs in the intake manifold for the exhaust gas passageway. They were at worst 1/3 closed up. I cleaned them and pressed the plugs back in. Of course it didn't help.

I am not a mechanic but very good mechanically and pretty good with electronics. This problem is just annoying for me but very bothersome for my wife when she drives the car. It's the best car I've ever owned. It now has 98,000 miles on it and very little has gone wrong with it or has been replaced. I also have '01 Acura CLS that I believe is not built quite as well. It's a very nice car and I enjoy it but I have to say I still love to drive the Accord. The controls (steering, clutch, brakes, and gas pedal) are very precise and are one of the main reasons I bought it back in '91.

I hate to bring it to the dealer and have them say they can't duplicate the problem. Not to mention the hassle and money involved. I wish it would get worse or fail as it would be easier to resolve.

Any help with the diagnosis would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:11 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fuel related problem. Try removing the fuel injectors and soaking them in some fuel system cleaner, then re-installing them [probably due for new o-rings], with some fuel system cleaner in the tank, or get some Seafoam and run it through a hot engine to help clean out any carbon deposits that might also be causing your stumble.