Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

leaky tranny

Old 08-20-2003, 09:07 PM
del solo option

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky tranny

just finished my swap gsr in a del sol with b16 tranny car runs fine but the tranny is leaking i already replaced the seals for the cv joint what other seals are there???
Old 08-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

If the tranny isn't cracked, check the tranny drain bolt. I've seen that one work itself loose. There's also supposed to be a crush washer in there and Honda calls for it to be replaced each time (take your bolt to Honda to make sure you get the same one, it's looks to be the same as the oil drain bolt though).

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 PM
del solo option

it is missing that washer i new something went ther ill change it and ill let you know if thats what it was
Old 08-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Get a new washer and pickup 3 bottle of Honda MTF while your there. It's about $5 a bottle but how often do you change your tranny fluid? $15 isn't going to kill you once a year.

If that's not it, clean the hell out of the bottom of the tranny and then check it 100 miles later, should be able to find where it's coming from (probably the washer though).

Old 09-09-2003, 03:58 PM
egzivic

The drain bolt washer is the same for the transmission as the oild pan. The fill bolt is a larger diameter. Two quarts sould be enough on a drain and refill, save the $5 bucks for a 6 pack after a job well done.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:33 PM
JDMilan

check also where your VSS is, might be loose, majority of the time the axle is somewhat out and tend to drip a little, but more than likely it is going to be that washer..or your tranny might be cracked which you can get the casing fixed also..
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Originally posted by egzivic
The drain bolt washer is the same for the transmission as the oild pan. The fill bolt is a larger diameter. Two quarts sould be enough on a drain and refill, save the $5 bucks for a 6 pack after a job well done.
It's been a while since I checked the numbers, but I think B-series trannies take 2.2 or 2.3 quarts for a refill. I always put two full ones in and then just fill it till it spills out. I think D-seires only take 2.

Any luck finding the cause of the leak?

Old 09-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Daniel

I had a problem with my drive axle sliding out of the transmission partally because the spring ring around the inside of the axle seal had popped off. When I removed the axle I could see the ring just sitting there right in front of the differential. Can you move the inboard CV joint any on the passenger side of the car?

BTW, this is if either the drain plug is not leaking or if the leak still continues after replacing it.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:04 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Originally posted by Andy
It's been a while since I checked the numbers, but I think B-series trannies take 2.2 or 2.3 quarts for a refill. I always put two full ones in and then just fill it till it spills out. I think D-seires only take 2.

Any luck finding the cause of the leak?
My H-series tranny takes 2.2 qts but I do the same... dump two qts then take a third and fill until it overflows. Be sure you're on absolutely level ground though. Last time I changed my fluid, the car appeared to be level to the unassuming eye but apparently it was off level. The next time I checked the fluid on level pavement, as soon as I pulled the fill plug, oil started gushing out everywhere... a little over filled I would say

I just use regular old motor oil per the dealers reccomendation and the official Honda Service Manual. For the H22 it says to use 10W 30 or 10W 40 that is API SG rated.