Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Engine shake

Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Prince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shake

My vigor had an engine tune up recently. Plugs / wires / plug rings (plugs were dippin in oil) and bunch of other ususal problems with high km vigor were fixed.

The car has almost half fuel consumption. But now when car is sitting idle it gives these split seconds shakes at non-regulated intervals. These are v.noticable shakes and comes at their own pace.

Any ideas what the heck is causing it?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
bbb

motor mounts?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:47 PM
egzivic

CHECK TIMING. SINCE THE DISTUBUTOR IN AT THE BACK VERY SNUG WITH THE FIREWALL IT COULD BE HARDER TO ADJUST THAN MOST HONDA/ACURAS. IN MY 7 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AT A ACURA DEALER MOST TIMES IF AFTERMARKET PLUG WIRES ARE USED WITH AFTERMARKET CAP AND ROTOR THE IDLE CAN BE ROUGH. I DON'T LIKE TO SAY IT BUT EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN THAT FACTORY IGNITION PARTS WORK BETTER THAN ANYTHING ON A STOCK OR MILDLY MODIFIED HONDA/ACURA MOTOR.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:41 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

I've heard good things about stock honda wires, also.

I've seen timing problems, but the motor shakes all the time. Maybe open up the idle air screw a little, so it isn't fluctuating between such extreme conditions?

-PHiZ
Old 08-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Prince

What do you mean open the idle screw a little bit? Does that gives it more air. All genuine Acura parts are being used for the tune up. Its a strange shake. It doens't happen all the time, most time it does. Only happens when idle after a running and coming to a stop. The difference between the first shake and second is almost 5 sec. USually there are 3 shakes or so and then car is fine.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:57 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like it's misfiring. Since your ignition stuff is all new, maybe fuel. Have you ever put cleaner stuff (Techron) in the gas tank? Your injectors might not be getting dirty with age.

ps... I wouldn't adjust the idle screw if it idles at the right speed in between the shakes.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Prince

The rpm doesn't move when it does it. It has start only after the tune up. I really don't want to take it back to the same mechanic because he does an ok job, but he is a rip off.

Don't want to take it to some other mechanic either, it will start with soemthing after that
Old 08-20-2003, 04:14 PM
crxb16er

take the spark plugs out check the clearances, check cap and rotor, fuel filter, injectors all the stuff that should go with regular maintanance, make sure ur using the correct grade fuel, u could be misfiring or u could have a fuel issue. basic maintanance almost always solves problems like this
Old 08-20-2003, 05:07 PM
LordBlatz

I would also check that the throttle body has been cleaned, including the back side and edges of the butterfly valve. You can be a can of "sensor safe" carb cleaner and clean it out yourslef with some rags.

LB