Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Car Heats UP Badly

Old 05-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Turbonium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Heats UP Badly

when im driving to long on the freeway or cruising, my car starts to get warm then hot around the cockpit(shifter/handbreak), all around that area. i mean i turned all the switches off thinking hot air is coming in, but it still gets hot and i turn the ac on to combat it but i need to fix this problem. any advice to wat it may be or caused it? i have CAI/exhaust/Cat <installed at Mach3 in SF. the check light comes on also so i need to figure out the codes soon. any other ideas
Old 05-30-2003, 03:20 PM
SRT_Andy

Sounds like the catalytic converter is clogged and building up excess heat b/c the exhaust isn't flowing freely. Please be careful with this, as it can catch your carpet on fire and melt stuff....
Old 05-30-2003, 11:26 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they remove any heatshields? What code(s) is it throwing?
Old 05-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Turbonium

no the heat shield is still there and i didnt check the codes yet, which i really really need to. but alot of people are saying that my cat is just bad and i should get another or put the stock back on.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:20 PM
crxb16er

possibly its heating up ur exhaust too much or the heat shields arent blocking the heat from the floor panel, get under ur car next time its hot and see exactly whats really toasty, possibly the cat uve got is too restrictive and is causing things to heat up more than theyu are supposed to or something is lodged or clogged in ur exhaust. a straight smooth flowing exhaust will be hot all the way thru, while a stricted will got hit in certain places.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Turbonium

Originally posted by crxb16er
possibly its heating up ur exhaust too much or the heat shields arent blocking the heat from the floor panel, get under ur car next time its hot and see exactly whats really toasty, possibly the cat uve got is too restrictive and is causing things to heat up more than theyu are supposed to or something is lodged or clogged in ur exhaust. a straight smooth flowing exhaust will be hot all the way thru, while a stricted will got hit in certain places.
thats a good idea. i can drive it around and wait till it heats up and check underneath but anything specific i should test or try out to figure out wat i should do. like if the whole cat is hot wat am i to check, if sumthin else is hotter? im gonna run the car and see if anything heats up red , but other than that do u think wrapping it with some heat barrier will fix the problem from wat i described?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:18 PM
crxb16er

yah something can be wrong with ur heat shields, there are different things u can get different wraps and stuff like that but figure out ur problem first and go from there.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
integra97

I have a 97 LS 5-speed and it heats up too like that what should I do