Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Cam Degreeing on Vtec

Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM
widro007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Degreeing on Vtec

Hey I need to know how to degree cams in on a B17A1 92 Gsr integra. I have never done this before and would like to know how. If anyone can explain clearly how to do this please write back thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You need cam gears and a dyno. If you don't have either of them, you can't do it. Also, cam timing won't do anything if you are using stock cams.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
widro007

I have skunk2 stage two and have cam gears. I just need to know how to read the cam card and how to degree the cams in. One other thing is this is the first Vtec we have messed around with, adjusting the valves, is it done the same way as the nonvtecs,because of the different lobes just wondering if it is different.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by widro007
I have skunk2 stage two and have cam gears. I just need to know how to read the cam card and how to degree the cams in. One other thing is this is the first Vtec we have messed around with, adjusting the valves, is it done the same way as the nonvtecs,because of the different lobes just wondering if it is different.
The cams are adjusted on a dyno to see if your adjustments are doing anything beneficial for the powerband. Start by advancing the intake cam a few degrees. It will make the idle more lopey and will help out bottom to mid range power without much sacrifice to the top end. Don't get too extreme with this as it will bring the pistons and valves closer together. After that, try retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees and see what gains that will give you. It will also lope the idle and add some mid range power.

All cars are different, so you may have to mess around with them for a while to get a decent result. You are looking for a gain across the powerband, not peak numbers in a very small range of the powerband.

Valve lash is adjusted the same way on stock cams as it is with aftermarket cams. You are measuring the non-lobed portion of the cam with the rocker arm, so it doesn't matter if the cams have small lobes or if they have huge lobes, because the measurement will still be the same.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

here's some good stuff on degreeing cams: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1532388
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
here's some good stuff on degreeing cams: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1532388
Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood the question.

What exactly is the point of degreeing a cam? I kept reading and couldn't figure out why they were doing that.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

from what i could gather, so the cams are correctly installed to manufacturer's specs. :dunno: