Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Electronic? fuel?

Old 01-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Chuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic? fuel?

I am attempting to help a friend that has 2 Civics that will not run. This is my first encounter w/ these cars, so be kind and understanding of an old fart, trying to learn something!!
The details as I understand them..
1 car, a 93, has not started since purchased. Car reportedly had a valve job done, and hasn't run since.
2nd car, a 94 was being driven, and then slowly died to a point it will not start.. This happened over a period of weeks.

We've tried all new electronic parts, I've cleaned the injectors, and we've been thru all the connectors, etc. batteries are fully charged.

What we find, is an absolute new one on me, and I've been working on cars for 50+yrs...

The engines will crank at an acceptable rpm, but WILL NOT start The spark and fuel pressure are Ok.. New Walbro pump, filter, etc.
If we remove 1 plug, and crank the engine, it will start, and run well on 3 cyls. Put the plug back in while it's running, and it dies, and will not restart, nor will it start if we just leave the plug wire off. BOTH cars do this, and it makes no difference which plug we pull... same results!!

Outta ideas folks!!!
Any, all help is appreciated!!

Better yet! the first person to correctly diagnose the problem will get a free injector cleaning and flow test!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 PM
BoostedITR41

the only thing I can think of it the distributer is the source.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
VPUPPY

maybe a distributor, coil or igniter, or timing issue. just a thought.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:46 PM
aero3685

Originally Posted by BoostedITR41
the only thing I can think of it the distributer is the source.
yeah, possibly the ignitor coil. Not sure if its internal or external for that car. It throwing any CEL's?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:47 PM
VPUPPY

ha, boostedITR41 beat me to it. i open the thread, looked and thought about it, posted and i saw his post. funny, huh? lol.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:51 PM
BoostedITR41

I was thinking the cap may not be tight and when you pull the plug it rocks the cap to ignite the other 3 cylinders. or could be entire dist. assembly