Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

RSX K20a2 in Civic EG...Anyone know NEThing!?!?!

Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 PM
JustSayNoToAPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSX K20a2 in Civic EG...Anyone know NEThing!?!?!

Ok...Let me open up a can of worms. I have semi-surfed around these forums, and no one has answered any of my questions in their threads, so I'll attempt to find some answers in this one. Has anyone put a K20 or K24/K20 in an EG? If you have, did you lose your power steering? Have you noticed a difference in handling? Aside from the motor and any bull$hit speed parts, did you have any other REAL costs besides axles, mounts, and ecu stuff? Please give me every bit of info you have, because I'm seriously debating buying this setup and ditching my B-series plans, and I'd like to have as much info as I cana before I make that big of a decision. Any USEFUL info is appreciated!

Thanks...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Here's a decent article with some good info (for an EK chassis but I'm sure they make EG versions of everything)

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0407scc_hybrid/

I don't know anybody who's actually done one yet but I know they're out there. I don't think you can keep the PS (my hybrid didn't have it and it wasn't so bad) and wiring is going to be either complicated or expensive if you let someone else do it.

Have any particular plans for your car or just looking for something unique to do?

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:05 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Check the RSX and 02+ Si forum.
I'm pretty sure that is an EJ with a K20 in it. It looked like a lot of work though.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 PM
JustSayNoToAPC

Andy...

thanks anyway. Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about losing the power steering. I used to autocross a buddy's crx without power steering, and personally I'd rather take it in the ass from a raped ape. But hey...ya gotta do what ya gotta do. My car's almost done with everything else, and we'll be done shaving unnecessary everything in the engine bay shortly, and all we have left is a motor. Car has been sitting in the body shop since february, and it's killing me. The next couple months are crucial if I'm gonna be able to drive it by may-ish when you figure in all the time it takes to put my interior back together after getting it back, etc. In this amount of time, I could build a HEALTHY hybrid b-series, or do a mild build on a K series. Mods so far are a ton of subtle body mods (it's a 94 ex coupe by the way), C-West front and sides, custom rear with .125" alluminum diffuser, 10 pt. roll cage, Recaro Profi SPG Driver's seat, SRD passenger seat, JDM interior pieces, rewrapped interior in black leather and suede, 18" 5Zigen FN01RC's, Stoptech 13" front kit, ITR lug swap all the way around, ITR rear brakes, etc....I have a lot of work in it, and I haven't driven it for almost 2 years since I started, so I'd like to wrap this up sometime by spring....man...I hate this f-ing car.

Thanks again man,

Steve
Old 12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

If you were taking in the ass from a monkey, wouldn't it technically be a raping ape, as opposed to a raped ape. Ha ha, sorry but that expression just never made sense for me.

Sounds like you've got a ton of time and money invested in this project. I'd personaly probably go with a B-series swap. It won't have the same wow factor as a K-series if that's what your going for but will be much simplier and probably be just as fast for the same amount of money. I'm not much into impressing other people, I don't care if nobody likes how my car looks or that 3,000 other people have the exact same swap as me. I just want my cars to be fast and enjoyable. That said, the K-series engines are the new generation have far more potential and better technology. Hell, you can basically buy a stock 2.4L bottom end and bolt the better 2.0L head to it and the aftermarket is going to be making new parts for the K-series while the B-series stuff will start to dry up as the supply of used engines does too. It's a tough call but like I said, I'd go with a B-series swap (probably a B18C1 with a mild N/A buildup).

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 AM
JustSayNoToAPC

B20 built with B16/B18c1 head...gets more and more attractive everyday. I don't really care how many people have a certain mod done to their cars either, like you said, because I mean...if "being different" (I use that term loosely) was so important to any of us, we wouldn't own civics. I just want something that will pull strong enough for my track days at Mid-Ohio, Beaver Run, and Nelson Ledges...and something...ok screw it...impressive to people. I admit it. I DO care what people think. So does everyone else. Oh well, I've driven a B20 hybrid with a B16 head in a 93 hatch before, and even though the motor was so incredibly poorly put together, it pulled harder than any other N/A 4 cylinder I've ever driven.
That K20 just seems like so much fun, and every other dickhead around here has a B series. Decisions decisions.
Well, I'm babbling, just thinking out loud. Thanks for your advice Andy, if anyone else has any suggestions for what I should do, let me know, I'm curious. Hopefully someone out there has done this in the EG/EJ and will give me advice either for or against it.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

www.hybrid-racing.com
Old 01-06-2005, 02:27 PM
angrychicken

Either way it will be fun! In regards to the ape thing, I auto-x without power steering, but that's just my preference.
Nothing touches my butt except when it needs to be cleaned, toilet paper etc.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
1of9
Team Nines

So... what would be the results if you drop a K20A2 or K24A2 into 94-97 Accord, vs dropping an H22
Old 01-07-2005, 11:29 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

K20A2 makes less torque than the H22 I believe. I think it could still be a really fun motor in a 94-97 Accord. K24 would be a bit more suited because it's from the heavier TSX counterpart.