Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Electrical Problems?? 88 Lude

Old 12-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Bjenkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems?? 88 Lude

I was driving the Prelude I just bought when the batt. light came on and went off a min. or so later... then, the radio started cutting on and off, alternator right?? I don't think so. Car dies, tried to jump it, it turned over, but no start... waited a little while and nothing, like the battery wasen't even there. Come to find out battery was completely dead, no good anymore so replaced it. Turned over again, - terminal sparked, then nothing. The harness on the + side of the battery was loose so that was replaced. This is where it gets freaky... I was messing with the interior light fuse, taking a screw from it to replace the lost one on the battery fuse. I put the key in and got all the telltale signs of a dead battery; dim lights, weak buzzing from the seatbelt alarm... then I take out my frustrations by banging the negitave post on the battery with a pair of pliers... and everything comes on!!! Try to start,turn on winshield wipers, sneeze... u name it and it will kill the good connection with the battery. Oh, and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... when I open my door, the dome light turns off, when I close it, it comes on... I must have sat there for 10 mins opening and closing my door in disbelief. (Dosen't do it anymore, don't ask why) I'm thinking it may very well be a bad alternator that has evolved into an electrical nightmare.