Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

b20 vtec(b16a) supercharging questions

Old 12-10-2004, 06:00 PM
jcxcrxsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 vtec(b16a) supercharging questions

i blew 3000 on a b20b engine, b16a head, full conversion kit, ls tranny, clutch lightened flywheel, stage 3 vtec cams, etc....

i know i should resleeve or block guard the b20 before boosting, and i will change the pistons to a low comp like 8.8:1. but i have about another 3500-4000, and NEED the supercharger. which one do i get? i have a b16 head and a b20 block. what brand, where and then what do i need to bump the boost from 8 or 12 psi to 14+psi. i want the supercharger but want more than the offered 8-12 psi supercharger models.

$2500 - 54 hp+ @6 psi
$3500 - 80 hp+ @9 psi h:
$4500+ - 117 hp+@12psi
custom - ??? hp+ @14,15,16,17 + psi

basically where can i get the best deal, and what do i have to do to get the most boost for the buck? oh yeah, this is all going into a 91 crx too. (tight fit)hunh?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

a turbo would be a better option. and those cams probably wont work too well with f/i.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by jcxcrxsi
this is all going into a 91 crx too. (tight fit)hunh?
The only option you really have is one of HAsport's new Jackon Racing peice for B-series engines in CRX's. I doubt anything else will fit.
http://www.hasport.com/Products/supercharger.htm

Those superchargers are pretty crappy though.

If you are looking for boost in the mid to upper teens, buy a turbo.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

The turbo would be the best bang for the buck compared to a supercharger. Might I ask why you want to supercharge vs. turbo?

And snoopy is right about the cams. You would have been better off with skunk2 turbo cams or equivalent. Unless you don't mind the unresponsiveness and super soggy idle, get the turbo cams if you are going FI.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 AM
ED9man
driver

i'd get a different trans too
Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
jcxcrxsi

i hate lag no matter what the hp gain of turbo over supercharged. a supercharger is much more care free, self contained, less heat, lightning fast responsiveness, and its unique, everybody loves the word "TURBO" but i know not of many supercharged crx 2.0L swaps...do you?

and i got the ls tranny because with f/i i need bigger gears for the best et's.

...and when you say "crappy supercharger" what do you mean by that?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

but i know not of many supercharged crx 2.0L swaps...do you?
That's because they don't fit very well. A turbo drops right in, not to mention a properly sized turbo won't see much lag at all.
...and when you say "crappy supercharger" what do you mean by that?
Poor design and quality. The Jackson Racing peice is notorius for leaking and braking, as well as loosing efficiency at higher boost levels.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

less heat
An intercooled turbo runs much much cooler than any supercharger. Even most of the times, a non-intercooled turbo runs cooler.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
augy

Originally Posted by Shmoo
An intercooled turbo runs much much cooler than any supercharger. Even most of the times, a non-intercooled turbo runs cooler.
Really? That's certainly counterintuitive...
Old 12-11-2004, 09:29 PM
pomansouth

Also, ill tell you something else, a turbo with open downpipe is not gonna lag enough for you to even feel it. superchargers cause heatsink problems, turbos atleast keep the heat to them selves and the air that it is blowing. Also, there are alot of different ways to manipulate a turbo, when you start to push about 14 to 15 psi, you can start cooling your intake with water, and it will increase the efficiency across the board. Also gas mileage is ALOT better with a turbo. you dont need an ls tranny if you are gonna have vtec, you need a gs-r tranny, a set of street slicks, and the motor to be built and your into the high 12 to low 13 range, if you build the motor right. Why buy all of this stuff for all motor purpose and use it for a boost build. Just doesnt make sense, seems as though you may wanna do some searches to figure out what you really wanna do.