Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Automatic transmission question

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
kitnamore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission question

At summer 2004 i made h22a swap in my accord wagon 95. I leave my automatic transmission.
No I have jdm swap, jdm automatic vtec ecu:
1) 7100 rpm limit
2) 180km\h speed limit.
3) no sport mode

Any chance to get good ecu with 7800 rpm limit and without speed limit and get sport mode?

And second question. Is this possible to swap my current tranny with 97-.. prelude steptronic transmission?
Old 12-12-2004, 02:35 PM
jlan

First of all, an ECU doesn't increase REV limit, it just changes how close to, or how far above, the red line you can go. If you wanna really improve your car potential, you gotta do actual engine upgrades. A good ECU always helps though, so try to find a specialty place that can install one and get it programmed just right. If you can't find/afford a good ECU or specialty place, run a really powerful electromagnet over the cars computer. That will eliminate the 180 km/h speed limit, and it will rev as high as you punch the gas, so be careful not to blow the engine. Also be careful about WHAT computer you put the electromagnet over- you might screw up the fuel injectors among other things, but like I said, go to a specialty place.
As for the automatic transmission, manuals are obviously faster if you know what you're doing, but modern automatics are sometimes under rated. If you get the horsepower too high, you might end up breaking your automatic. If you're gonna switch transmission, save up for a nice sports sequential one.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Huh? Big magnet? From what I understand, an ECM (engine control module, the ECU or brain) has the map information actually physically burned into a ROM chip that can't simply be wiped out by a strong magnet. Actually from what I've read, the whole magnet/computer problem is typically pretty overrated. A powerful rare earth or electromagnet might be strong enough to screw with a relatively unprotected and exposed floppy disk, but poses very little threat to an actual computer or computer hard drive. Hell, the speakers sitting next to your computer on your desk and even the small one actually physically inside your case have magnets.

An ECM can increase your rev limit by raising the rev limiter built into the ECM. All engines/cams can only rev to a certain limit and still make power. Look at any dyno plot and you'll see the hp peak and drop after a cretain point, typically 300-500 rpm before redline. Increasing engine speed beyond that point has zero benefit because your making less power than you are before (remember at 8000 rpm your intake valve opens and closes ~67 times a second, only so much air and fuel can get in there in that amount of time). Also, you valvetrain isn't designed to rev much beyond that point and if forced to, can't keep up and it's possible for a valve spring to not have enough strength to push a valve closed when the cam lobe leaves (remember, 67 times a second) and leave the valve in the middle of the combustion chamber when the piston comes up and make contact. This result in bent valves, damaged pistons and a blown engine.

I don't know much about H22A automatics but I can tell you that mix and matching them isn't going to be easy or maybe even possible. To control a '97+ Prelude tranny, you'll probably need a '97+ Prelude ECM. That ECM won't work in your '95 Accord because your car is OBD I and the ECU is OBD II (different plugs and your car is missing sensors the later OBD II ECM will need to see). Automatics aren't really worse than manual trannies but have some disadvantages. They absorb more power than a manual and generate a lot more heat. They also may not be able to rev as high (maybe the reason for the lower redline on an automatic H22A).

I would say your best bet to increase your cars output would to be to go with a standalone engine managment system to control the engine itself. The only problem is I don't know what you would have to do to keep the transmission happy. If you build the engine to rev to 8000 rpm and the tranny shifts at 7100, it's basically pointless. Like I said, I'm not real familiar with H22A issues but I don't see any real easy solution to your problem.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
ED9man
driver

You really should get a manual tranny
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
jlan

As far as the magnet thing goes, I guess it's different in different cars. My friend has a Pontiac sunfire that normally has 140 hp (because of the rpm limiter it can't reach peak hp) and the engine cuts at 110 mph. He ran a VERY POWERFUL electromagnet over the computer, and now his car dynos at 190 hp and gets up to 140.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
jlan

As far as the magnet thing goes, I guess it's different in different cars. My friend has a Pontiac sunfire that normally has 140 hp (because of the rpm limiter it can't reach peak hp) and the engine cuts at 110 mph. He ran a VERY POWERFUL electromagnet over the computer, and now his car dynos at 190 hp and gets up to 140.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Jlan are you serious??? That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Everyone else keep the magnets on your fridge, and away from your electronics.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 AM
jlan

I study electrical and computer engineering. I know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

You can spend the rest of your life studying whatever you want, running a magnet over a cars computer will not increase the power output by 35%.

As for your friends car, I can absolutely promise you that simply increasing or removing the rev limiter will not make 1 single more hp. Look at any dyno plot of an engine and you will see the hp level peak and then start to fall off right before it reaches the engines redline. That peak was the most power that engine can make with it's current configuration of cam shaft design, head/port design and compression. The further beyond that point, the lower the amount of power the engine produces drops until the engine destoryes itself. I'd personally like to see the dyno plot of a Pontiac Sunfire engine that can produce 190hp without the aid of nitrous or a turbo/SC. I also hope your friend doesn't live anywhere near me if he's driving 140 on a public road so he doesn't kill anybody I know or care about.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:21 PM
jlan

you're absolutely right, but the rev limiter in pontiacs don't let it reach it's peak horse power