Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Installing the Timing belt

Old 12-02-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the Timing belt

I tried to replace my timing belt and waterpump this weekend. The crank pulley was probably the easier part if you have the tool. Anyway, I had a hard time putting on the new belt, it's a bit tight, i had to loosen the tensioner completely and installed it after the belt is on. The marks are all aligned on the crank and camshafts but the belt is loose at the TDC and if i turn the egine to the 2, 3 and 4...it's tight, only at the TDC that's it's loose. Can someone please help me why it's only loose at the TDC not the 2, 3 , and 4 cylinder. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

When you put the belt on, make sure the tensioner is loose. Crank it one full revolution to make sure that the crank and cams are still TDC. There should be some slack at TDC. Turn the crank counterclockwise 4 teeth on the cam sprockets and then tighten the tensioner. Turn the crank one more full revolution and it should be tightened.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
pomansouth

are you rotating the crank to the left the whole time to get top dead center?? if you turn the crank back to the right the tention will be let off of the timing belt resulting in an ark between the cams if you have a DONC motor and loose on the accesory side of the belt of a SOHC motor. As long as the tentioner pulley has the spring connected as it should be, the belt will be tentioned if the instructions are followed correctly. I think you are supposed to rotate the timing belt like 4 or five times with the tensioner loose and then tighten the tentioner down. This is what I recall anyhow.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Thank you guys, I will retry your methods again this weekend. I had to stretch the spring on the tensioner to get it on. Did I killed teh spring and have to buy a new one?