Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

oil filter seal bursting... need help!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:15 AM
icarus3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter seal bursting... need help!!!

i have an 88 accord. three weeks ago the oil filter i installed two weeks prior broke at the oring and naturally sprayed all the oil from the engine. i then replaced the oil filter thinking oil filter was just faulty. lasted three days. did it again... this time it didn't break but blew the oil filter oring out of it's groove. replaced it again and week and a half later(today), blew out again. haven't checked if oring is broken yet though. anyway, each time these things blow, it's always after turning on the car after it has sat overnight or from a long day of parking. been using fram filters since i got the car 7 yrs ago and these last three filters couldn't be all faulty.

need help bad. does anyone here know if the oil pump can build up that much pressure to blow out oil filter seals? if it is a build up of pressure, what could it be caused by?

thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
augy

now that's a real doozie. Stock engine?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:54 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pressure should be controlled by the bypass valve in the oil pump. Maybe that's stuck closed; so the pressure is way too high?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

What kind of overnight temperatures are we talking here? If the oil is too thick for the temperature, this can happen. Fram is not the best filter out there either. You may want to try a different brand such as Wix or a Napa brand filter.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:02 PM
icarus3

everything in the car is stock. might have some aftermarket stuff in it but nothing for performance parts per se. as far as temp at night are nothing lower than 60f. i talked to a mechanic friends about it and they said it is the bypass valve. but after i bought the oil pump, it didn't look like it has a bypass valve in it. still dunno
Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 PM
pomansouth

frams are known to deteriorate and let pieces of filter into your motor!!! this may be the cause for it, if it is I would write fram and tell them to pay for a oil pump and a different brand oil filter and give you your money back. just my thought
Old 01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
SOHKeg

old thread i know, but that happened to me once when i changed my oil, the fram rubber o-ring gasket was stuck to the block and i didn't notice. put the new filter on, filled it up, and it blew like 30 seconds after i started it up though
Old 01-14-2005, 08:23 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

SOHKeg is correct, that is prolly what your problem is. Next time you put a filter on, make sure the old O-ring came off. Sometimes it will stick to the block and when you put the new filter on top of it, it blows. Shouldn't take days or weeks to blow though. Maybe this isn't your problem, but it sounds like it is.