Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

A D16Z6 for a B20Bomber

Old 11-20-2004, 09:25 PM
CTR035
I am whatever u say I am

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A D16Z6 for a B20Bomber

Have 94 coupe and looking to yank the sohc for the dohc. I'm moving toward the B20, but wondering which would be better B or Z for the swap? I'm looking into put a JDM ITR head and tranny, with possible reconstruction of (cams,ret,valves, and springs) and want to know if there will be enough piston to valve clearance? Or stick with stock head and throw in a CTR intake cam. Also looking to put in pistons,rings and lighted rods and wanted to know if this could be another problem? Any tips or help would be awsome. Thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 PM
theguy386
I am tehguy... OH YEAH!!

Hope this helps some

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php
Old 11-23-2004, 05:23 AM
CTR035
I am whatever u say I am

Thanks slim, that one site cleared all ?'s in one. You are the man sorry the guy.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by CTR035
I'm moving toward the B20, but wondering which would be better B or Z for the swap?
The JDM B20B or USDM B20Z. The US B20B has a very low compression ratio and should be avoided... there is no such thing as a JDM B20Z (their B20B was already B20Z spec.)
I'm looking into put a JDM ITR head and tranny, with possible reconstruction of (cams,ret,valves, and springs) and want to know if there will be enough piston to valve clearance?
No, you'll have to have the valve reliefs deepened.
Or stick with stock head and throw in a CTR intake cam.
You can't use a VTEC cam in a non-VTEC head. They just plain don't fit.
Also looking to put in pistons,rings and lighted rods and wanted to know if this could be another problem?
No, but with aftermarket pistons you don't have to worry about valve clearance issues.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 AM
CTR035
I am whatever u say I am

Thanks for the help. with the stock head i meant the tpye r head ( didnt specify). But looking to put in CTR pistons and rods, will i be straight with the clearance or will it also give me problem cause its a factory swap.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

CTR pistons won't fit, the B20 gets it's extra .2L of displacement from a larger bore, 84mm vs 81 I believe. The CTR pistons will have a 3mm undersized diameter piston and simply won't work. The only pistons you can use with a B20 block would be the stockers or aftermarket units. You might be better off just starting with a B18C1 and building from there rather than worrying about forcing everything to work together. If your really nuts for the 2.0L, a B18C1's sleeves can be removed and replaced with new stronger 84mm versions. It would basically build a B20 bottom end but with infinately stronger sleeves, all the B18C1's addition parts (oil squirters, crank girdle, higher pressure/volume oil pump ...) and probably more peace of mind.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.