Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Lsd?????????????

Old 11-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Wilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsd?????????????

GUYS! please sum one tell me the function of a LSD and whats the goods and bads abot it! yea! tell me all.... thanks: )
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Wilson

Originally Posted by Wilson
GUYS! please sum one tell me the function of a LSD and whats the goods and bads abot it! yea! tell me all.... thanks: )

ANYONE?? HELP?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Namek

Helps keep equal distribution of torque to the wheels keeping one wheel from slipping or having to slip. I doubt there is a "bad" thing about having an LSD. There may be other advantages/uses but I dunno :dunno:
Old 11-04-2004, 02:17 AM
Wilson

IS TAHT IT?? oh, i thought it was more than that!
thanks neways dude

oh, wot happens to two same bhp/torque cars. one with lsd, and one without?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Namek

Well I suppose the one with LSD would just have more traction and put a little more power to the ground.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:27 AM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Generally speaking, you have three basic types of differential, open, limited slip and locked.

With an "open" diff, if one tire loses traction and spins, the engine will send all of it's power to the wheel that sliping and none to the tire that actually has enough traction to propel the car. So, if you have RWD and your left-rear is sitting in oil, you can hit the gas hard and spin the left-rear without any forward movement.

A limited slip design, either through gears or clutches, redistributes some of the power to the non-slipping wheel. Accordingly, as in the example above, the right-rear tire will receive power and the car will move in the direction of tire rotation.

Properly designed and properly tuned, limited slip in 1, 1.5 or 2 way design allows you to apply more power more effectively when you drive through a corner.

With a locked differential, both the inside and outside wheels will move at the same speed.