Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

High compression engines and boost

Old 02-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High compression engines and boost

Talk to me about this.

I am currently running 11.6:1 compression from a fully built all motor H22 and am toying with the idea of turbo to add to the fun (don't ask it's just a thought for now).

So serious answers from those who know what they are talking about on the subject and the real time issues with boosting a high comp engine.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the fastest turbo hondas are high compression. The higher compression just leaves less room for error in tuning. With a good tuner a high compression turbo setup is very possible. The main things to be concerned about is engine knock and high engine temperatures.

If i was to personally build another turbo setup i would go the low compresion rate. Yes it wont make the same power as another engine at the same psi but i can make up for that with more psi. You can make just as much power as a higher compression motor with less worries, except for those who worry about higher psi's.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:01 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

high compression boost is flaky even for the professionals. atmospheric conditions can make or break your setup quickly as the tuning curve is small to nil. your engine management setup better be bulletproof.

the only real world advantage to high static comp boost is the increased exhaust gas velocities to better spool larger turbines for quicker boost pickup. but in reality, this only becomes a factor when the turbine is improperly sized or overly large for higher hp applications.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

high compression = more heat. Excess heat + boost = boom. It can be done, but like stated above, you will have a lot lower margin for error with fuel tuning and an engine trying a lot harder to destroy itself. Built up all motor H22A isn't fast enough for you?

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by Andy
high compression = more heat. Excess heat + boost = boom. It can be done, but like stated above, you will have a lot lower margin for error with fuel tuning and an engine trying a lot harder to destroy itself. Built up all motor H22A isn't fast enough for you?
Haha nah its fine I was just tossing the idea around is all. I went and talked to a friend of mine at the local shop and he told me to step away from the car and put the turbo down.

Considering the compression it runs now putting even 5lbs of boost on it would shoot it up to over 13:1 compression which wouldn't allow it to last very long at all and pump gas would be long gone as well as tuning being a major issue.

I have decided to leave it alone.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Ha ha, put the turbo down and step away from car. Maybe something for your next car?

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by Andy
Ha ha, put the turbo down and step away from car. Maybe something for your next car?
Yeah if I do another Honda I think I am going to go H22 in a 92-95 hatch with turbo....but I don't think I am going to build another Honda any time soon.

I am trying to sell this one now and putting the money into my rock crawler....but ya never know what I may be up to in the future:naughty:
Old 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

another concern is fuel. If youre running a high compression FI setup, you can kiss pump gas goodbye.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:10 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
another concern is fuel. If youre running a high compression FI setup, you can kiss pump gas goodbye.
cam timing can fix that quite easily.

dynamic compression > static compression
Old 02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
A_D
Reset?

well, since you already have built your h22, you know what youre doing. why not just swap out the pistons for some lower compression ones? then boost it. then again, if you compare the high compression N/A h22 to a low compression boosted h22, the gains would probably be minimal. or maybe not. only one way to find out

Quick Reply: High compression engines and boost