Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Crank pulley bolt: reverse thread?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410

    Crank pulley bolt: reverse thread?

    Is this bolt reverse thread? This is on a 95 Accord EX. I have the tool to keep the harmonic balancer in place, and I just broke a 3/8 rachet extension trying to loosen the bolt to get the crank pulley off. So, am I pulling the right way (lefty loosy) If so, I'll just go to 1/2 inch rachet next. That thing is TIGHT!! Thanks for any input.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    499
    heh...we've all been there, man. Yes, that bolt is normal thread, counterclockwise loosens it. The engine turns the opposite direction as the bolt removal direction to gaurantee that it won't back out. Consequently, it's ridiculously tight.

    Squirt some penetrating oil into the bolt. Then, you're going to need at least a 2-foot, 1/2-inch-drive breaker bar and a 6-point, 17mm socket. With the car on the ground, hand brake set, and transmission in 3rd or 4th gear, get the breaker bar on the bolt, put a big cheater bar (piece of pipe) over the breaker bar, and pull with all your strength. That should crack it loose.

    Put the bolt back in the same way, just give it a good twist with the breaker. Then find a shop, pay em 5 bucks to put your car on a lift and hit that bolt with an impact gun to make sure it's good and snug.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Thanks for the reply, I'll drop it off the jack stands to perform this.... sounds violent

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    yessssaaaahhh.... I got the bolt off last night.

    The hardware required:
    (2) 10" 1/2" drive extensions (these came out past the wheel, so I was pulling outside the body of the car.

    (1) 19mm 6pt deep socket (1/2" drive)
    (1) 12" 1/2" drive braker bar





    and the big dog:

    (1) 5 foot length steel pipe

    At first I was nervous with the ability to apply this much torque to a bolt. So, I started pulling, slowly at first. By the time I busted that bolt loose, I was really rocking back on the end of that cheater pipe. I can't imagine the amount of pressure that was being applied at the bolt. Anyway.... I'm very happy. On with the head gasket and timing belt job!!

    My wife took some pics of the setup I had... I'll scan and post when I get them developed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    2,561
    i use an ingersoll rand 3/4" impact. takes 2 seconds.
    gangters don't dance, we boogie.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12
    You really should torque the crank pulley back to spec, really anytime you unbolt anything on the motor, you need to torque it back to spec, dont just get an impact gun or a breaker bar and call it good. If you do it right you'll only have to do it once

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Originally posted by XSrcing
    i use an ingersoll rand 3/4" impact. takes 2 seconds.
    I didn't have that luxury, so I made due with hand tools.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Originally posted by sff900
    You really should torque the crank pulley back to spec, really anytime you unbolt anything on the motor, you need to torque it back to spec, dont just get an impact gun or a breaker bar and call it good. If you do it right you'll only have to do it once
    I agree completely. I'll torque it to spec when it goes back on.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    499
    It is a good idea to torque it to spec, I know. But, much like the reply to the impact gun, not all of us have the tools needed to get a bolt to 147 ft.lbs. of torque. My biggest torque wrench (got 3 of em) stops at 125 Ft. Lbs., so that's as far as I got.

    I work at Mitchell Repair, so I'm surrounded by mechanics. They all told me that a hit with an impact gun on that crank bolt is enough to hold it. That'll set it to around 100 ft.lbs., and the fact that the bolt turns against the rotation of the pulley will set the bolt into place over a few miles.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    I don't want to get into a pissing contest about torquing or not torquing.... let's get back to what's important: I got the bolt off

    (can you tell that I'm happy about this? )

    Thanks for all the input guys... I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before this project is over and done.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    I have to say that in the Helm manual, it states specifically NOT to use an impact wrench when replacing the crank bolt.

  12. #12
    skoooooie! Import-Tooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    So. Utah
    Posts
    2,657
    Originally posted by XSrcing
    i use an ingersoll rand 3/4" impact. takes 2 seconds.
    As did I. Impact guns are
    +Chanc+ says: I went pee with gloves on.


    SKOOIE!!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member mondial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14
    Hi guys. I know this thread is old but just in case. I have a Accord 2.0iS (UK) sounds similar to the 2.0.EX USA. I tried in vain this weekend to remove the pulley bolt. I was going to buy the pulley attachment tool to hold the crank solid. Costs about 62 $85 us dollars. Reckon the extensions and a length og pipe in my raker bar should do it. Any comments
    ____________________
    "What is the point of having Dreams if you are not going to make them Happen"

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by mondial
    Hi guys. I know this thread is old but just in case. I have a Accord 2.0iS (UK) sounds similar to the 2.0.EX USA. I tried in vain this weekend to remove the pulley bolt. I was going to buy the pulley attachment tool to hold the crank solid. Costs about 62 $85 us dollars. Reckon the extensions and a length og pipe in my raker bar should do it. Any comments
    5ft length of pipe over the end of my breaker bar did the trick for me. Some guys say leave the car in 5th gear and put it on the ground and you don't need the pulley tool. I used the tool, though.

  15. #15
    Junior Member mondial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by lingerbw
    5ft length of pipe over the end of my breaker bar did the trick for me. Some guys say leave the car in 5th gear and put it on the ground and you don't need the pulley tool. I used the tool, though.
    I tried it in 5th gear but the breaker bar did not have much movement even though I had the car on ramps. The idea of extending out beyond the car body sounds like a good idea.
    ____________________
    "What is the point of having Dreams if you are not going to make them Happen"

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by mondial
    I tried it in 5th gear but the breaker bar did not have much movement even though I had the car on ramps. The idea of extending out beyond the car body sounds like a good idea.
    I don't see any other way to get the clearance you need for the long pipe, unless you're on a lift. But, yeah, I extended everything out, then stacked up some lumber where the 90 degree turn was (for support) and then pulled.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1
    Hmmmm.....Didn't work for me. I tried my Aircat Impact wrench with 1000FT LBs in reverse, and the crank pulley holder tool.....no luck. Then I saturated it with PB blaster, several times over and gave it an hour to work.....no luck. Then I got a couple of 10" 1/2"dr extensions, an 18" craftsman breaker bar, and a 6 foot piece of steel pipe and snapped the breaker bar. No luck.

    I just bought a Propane torch today, so this weekend I'm going to make that sucker glow, and see if I can twist it off then!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by H0ndaJunkie
    Hmmmm.....Didn't work for me. I tried my Aircat Impact wrench with 1000FT LBs in reverse, and the crank pulley holder tool.....no luck. Then I saturated it with PB blaster, several times over and gave it an hour to work.....no luck. Then I got a couple of 10" 1/2"dr extensions, an 18" craftsman breaker bar, and a 6 foot piece of steel pipe and snapped the breaker bar. No luck.

    I just bought a Propane torch today, so this weekend I'm going to make that sucker glow, and see if I can twist it off then!
    Uh-oh. It's a normal thread bolt. You should be attempting to crank it counter-clockwise. I'd give the impact another shot if I were you. Good luck.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    175
    Second vote for the impact. I made a tool at work to stop the pulley from spinning so I could get the bolt loose. I grabbed some extensions and a cheater bar and tried to break it loose. I pried so hard that the leverage I was using lifted the front end of the car off the ground!

    I don't have the luxury of an air compressor and impact so I made a trip to a local garage to have them bust it loose. $10 and a two second blast with an impact had it off in a jiffy. I just had them tighten it up good enough to get back to my house.
    1991 Honda CRX - B16a, Ractive racing exhaust, CAI, 17's

  20. #20
    Registered User foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    505
    I suggest using a torque wrench to put the bolt back on. Sure, you can probably get away with giving the bolt a couple of baps with the impact gun but don't risk breaking the bolt or the end of the crankshaft. Using a torque wrench is simple even if you're a flatrate mechanic.

  21. #21
    Senior Member mberndt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Allentown PA, - Phila, PA
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by lingerbw
    yessssaaaahhh.... I got the bolt off last night.

    The hardware required:
    (2) 10" 1/2" drive extensions (these came out past the wheel, so I was pulling outside the body of the car.

    (1) 19mm 6pt deep socket (1/2" drive)
    (1) 12" 1/2" drive braker bar





    and the big dog:

    (1) 5 foot length steel pipe

    At first I was nervous with the ability to apply this much torque to a bolt. So, I started pulling, slowly at first. By the time I busted that bolt loose, I was really rocking back on the end of that cheater pipe. I can't imagine the amount of pressure that was being applied at the bolt. Anyway.... I'm very happy. On with the head gasket and timing belt job!!

    My wife took some pics of the setup I had... I'll scan and post when I get them developed.


    The amount of so called "pressure", which is actually called Torque, is a measurement of twisting force, which is applied to the bolt as a function of the force and the moment arm... (50lb)*(5ft) = 250 ft-lb of torque...
    So, the longer the arm, the less force required...
    But if you use a small ratchet, like a 3/4" drive, the force is spread out across less area, which increases the torsional and shear stresses, to the breaking point, in your case...
    Also, you say you were really rocking back and forth on the pipe, there you can see and feel the deflection of the materials, steel in this case which is very ductile for the most part.
    Later,
    Mike

  22. #22
    Fix It
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    300
    once on a 92 teg i did a timing belt (10 years ago in 2ft of standing water) I had to use a 4 foot pole over my 1/2 in breaker bar and when it cracked loose, the pole was bent. Welcome to HONDA

  23. #23
    Meow? qtiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kandahar, AF
    Posts
    11,779
    I've never had a problem taking the bolts off. Moroso tool and a NAPA breaker, easy easy.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Webpage shows how to do it

    I had a similar problem with a Honda Civic, so here's a webpage that details how to loosen the crank pulley bolt:
    http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/honda.html

  25. #25
    Still here... sorta... westcoaststyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    17,177
    Quote Originally Posted by blanchae
    I had a similar problem with a Honda Civic, so here's a webpage that details how to loosen the crank pulley bolt:
    http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/honda.html
    That's great and all, but it puts uneven pressure on the pulley and will likely bend it depending on the amount of force. I would recommend getting the correct tools for the job.
    2008 Lexus IS 350 - Starfire White
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 Sport

    View My Feedbacks & ADD TO THEM!!!

  26. #26
    Senior Member mberndt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Allentown PA, - Phila, PA
    Posts
    672
    Man, that is another stupid idea, LOL.

    Get the right tools, I.E. a chain wrench, and it couldn't be simpler.

  27. #26
    Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

    Honda-Acura

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-acura.net content, comments, or advertising. Honda-acura.net is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-acura.net in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.