Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Civic 92-95 : DIY Smoking Headlights (640x480 pics)

Old 04-28-2003, 11:59 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Civic 92-95 : DIY Smoking Headlights (640x480 pics)

i took the basic procedures from the diy on here about ctr headlights on ek's, but there's a few things you need to look out for on an eg.

firstly, once you get the headlights of the car, (it's pretty easy to figure out. 10mm bolts all around, 4 in total), look at the back of the assembly.

the two bolts (covered by that thing with the 3 screws) are what set how the headlights sit in the assembly. try to remember where they are because that'll help when you go to put the headlights back on the car. so, you'll want to unscrew those three screws, then unscrew the bolt. and also the nut that to the top right in the picture. it's kinda hard to get it. once that section is off, off the 5 metal clips, and then you're ready for the oven.

i put the oven on 350F and put them in for about 7 minutes. i tried 5 but they wouldn't come apart so i put them back in for a few more. also, the lenses are glass, so you can put that directly on the rack in the oven, which makes it easier (with less clean up). i didn't do this at first, but later saw how much easier it was. i also used a knife to pry them apart. anything would really do. just gotta get something in there to get some leverage.

then you'll want to unscrew the 2 screws inside and take out that reflector thing. and mask off the inside part. make sure you mask that junk off. i didn't do this, and painted the whole thing and then couldn't see ish at night. so don't do this:

i did a couple of coats just to be sure. and try not to let it run. you won't really see it, but i know if you're like me, you'll still know the run is there.

once you're done painting, you can stick some silicone where the glue is, just to be sure. i got:

from home depot for a couple of bucks. smells nasty but seals good. since i painted the reflector and junk, i had to pull the headlights apart again and this stuff didn't like to come off even after being in the oven. so it's decent stuff. so stick that stuff on if you want, put headlights back together and then stick them back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes, just to get the glue soft again. then squeeze them together and put those metal clips back on. i figured those would be good enough in holding the glass to the plastic while the glue dried so that's all i did.

now comes the tricky part. you have to figure out where the bolts were so that the headlights will line up correctly. i didn't realize this at first, so i just tightened the bolts all the way, and the headlights were sunk way in. it was bad. so, if you remember where they were set originally, you're set. if not, (you should payed attention above), and you'll have to guess at first. there's a line on the headlight, which i think corresponds to where the harness should line up.

but i'm not really positive. i tried to get them to line up, and it seems to be alright, but that extra bolt (the third one where it was hard to get to the nut) kinda throws it off since it pulls it down. but i think as long as the harness is parallel to that line, it should be ok (that's how i did it). i think you can tweak the settings of those funky bolts with the covers (with the 3 screws) on them, but i didn't really try.

once you've got that lined up, stick them back on the car. and that should be it. mine came out to look like (these were taken after i fixed them so i could see at night again):

i hope someone's learned not to paint the inside of their headlights by my mistakes. you don't see too many diy smoked headlights on an eg. i was at a meet the other day and everyone said that they've never seen them like that before, and some didn't think it was possible to do. so enjoy.

and as a side note, you can't pull apart the corners. atleast not the ones i've got. the glue is too hard i think. they wouldn't budge. the plastic started warping before the glue would give way. so don't try.

*EDITED to show a pic of the headlight when it's done, before installed.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:21 AM
loodboi
هونده بريلود

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u have got better pics of how it look after?
try to do the same with the corners! It will look better i think..
Old 04-29-2003, 09:46 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Default Re: Honda Civic 92-95 : DIY Smoking Headlights (640x480 pics)

Originally posted by kaizix
and as a side note, you can't pull apart the corners. atleast not the ones i've got. the glue is too hard i think. they wouldn't budge. the plastic started warping before the glue would give way. so don't try.
i'll get more pics soon.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:06 AM
loodboi
هونده بريلود

ok, i didnt read that lil bit...

Thanx for writing!!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:22 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

you can see in these pics that the corners are warped now because i stuck them in the oven. i could barely get the bulb in the socket because the hole shrunk.

Old 04-30-2003, 12:10 AM
loodboi
هونده بريلود

Nice, can u show us pic at the night? How it lights also..
Old 04-30-2003, 01:27 AM
KAUAI KANE
91' Toyota Supra

Location: Iwakuni, Japan. And where ever the Marine Corps sends me

:werd:
Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Originally posted by maffiososs
Nice, can u show us pic at the night? How it lights also..
i'll snap some pics tonight. if you do it the right way, it'll light up the same as before you do it. since i painted the insides, and then painted it chrome again, it won't be the same. but it still gives off enough light. but either way, i'll get you some pics tonight.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:28 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

ok, here are some night pictures.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:31 PM
EddieK

nice nice nice. its always nice to see people trying stuff out on their own. i would get some jdm style corners. i think that would match nicely