Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Civic 96-00: DIY CTR Headlights Guide(with Pictures)

Old 08-07-2003, 06:27 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:eh:

I think that would make the car look cheap, but it's your car. We did it on a '99 EX that's white.. lemme see if I can find pics.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:59 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go:

That's the best I can do. Not a great pic... it looks so much better in person. I like the CTR headlights on the white cars the best. h:
Old 08-07-2003, 10:01 AM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a heat gun required? will a blow dryer work? or is the oven sufficient? thinking about doing it this weekend....
Old 08-07-2003, 05:14 PM
ProjectWidow

Hey westcoaststyle, i was wondering if this process will be pretty much the same for other cars?? To me it seems like it would. Since my friend got in a little wreck on his 2002 Camry and he had to get another headlight he said he will give it to me so i can try it on his. Since i dont think i can do it to my prelude any more cause there isnt that much to paint. Ill show you a pic and maybe u can see if i can, but i dont think i can because it's pretty much the chrome pieces around both bulbs in the headlight and if i paint that then they wont shine properly.

I wish i could do it to my Lude

And the paint is just plain Dupli-Color Gunmetal Spray paint?? I went to Wal-Mart today and they had the Dupli-Color Gunmetal spray paint for truck and suv. Its the same right?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:16 AM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Just did this and it looks great and is really very easy to do. I found that I didn't need the oven though, a hot blow-dryer works just fine and there is little danger of melting the housing. This is the coolest mod ever! (Coolest one for under $10 anyway)
Old 08-08-2003, 12:21 AM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Originally posted by mikespeed95
good diy post. one suggestion, on teh corners i have had a problem in the past with not having a reflective area aroudn the turn signal bulb making it difficult to see my turn signals at night. this bothered me but f its no biggie to yall dont worrie about it. but maybe mark off part the square reflective area for your corner bulb.
The reflective area comes off. Need to strip the whole part down before painting.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 AM
civicexstacy00

I found that heating the oven to 200deg. and leaving the lights in for 10 minutes works much better. I didn't even have to use a heat gun. The only pblm that i did run into is I got a little silicon on the chrome. Does anyone know how to get that off? Will goo-gone work?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:20 PM
civicexstacy00

anyways, solved the pblm with the silicon. actually got rid of it in the prepping process. I found that using 400 grit sand paper to scuff the surface, and then painting it with primer before the gunmetal has worked out nicely.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:38 AM
mik

When doing it to 96-98 civics do you have to leave the orange bulb cover for the turn signal or can you get orange turn signal bulbs that will fit that are bright enough.
Also, how is the brightness of the turn signal with that big orange reflector removed? Its ugly and I hate it lol.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:26 PM
BigBum777

does anybody know if the spray paint will melt over time since it gets really hot in the headlight?