Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

My easy :EGR flow insufficient" fix Codes 401 403

Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 AM
gaffster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My easy :EGR flow insufficient" fix Codes 401 403

First off, I do not need ribald insults, innuendo, nor insults to my lineage simply because i want to impart some hard won knowledge that can help thousands.

I own two beautiful Acura 3.5 Rl's. One has just turned 250,000 miles and the other has just over 130,000 miles.

For years I have struggled with Codes P401 and P403, relating to insufficient EGR function. The first time, I stupidly paid a ham-fisted clown more than $700 to clean the port area beneath the EGR Valve. Once, I bought a shiny new EGR valve for $300, thinking it would solve the recurring codes on the OBDII.

More than 30,000 miles ago, on both cars, I removed the EGR valves, poured KUTZIT paint stripper down the rectangular port, then topped it off with Acetone. I tested the combo on an old cylinder head outdoors before trying it on one of the Acura's. The combo bubbles nicely and softens carbon to a paste, then continues to dissolve the paste.

On one car I added some Coca-Cola for added effervescence. After some 5 minutes, I left a heavy old towel over the area and started the engine. Chunks of carbon pelted the towel.

Then, I replaced the EGR valve, put the tower strut back on, and started the car.

It took several tries to keep the engine running, and the smoke was impressive.

As I say both cars have more than 30,000 miles on them since my little chemistry experiment, and both cars run nicely. The gas mileage in real word driving varies between 21 and 23 mpg, and I am pleased as punch.

The entire fix cost less than $10 for the small containers of chemicals.

That is less than $5 per car, and I have enough left to do both cars again.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 AM
canoboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should this work for any vehicle?

say maybe...my 98 Civic Hx?

What type of Acetone did you use?

Last edited by canoboi; 02-09-2009 at 01:07 PM.