Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Tomcat86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I put my tranny back together it shifts fine. But as soon as I torque down the case halves it's stuck in gear??? What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:33 PM
fathergoat
:3

It sounds like something is binding. I would start by checking the bearing clearance (post 4). If those are fine make sure the shift forks line up in neutral. It's been a while since I've had one apart and it's pretty late but if I get anymore ideas I'll post them.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Tomcat86

Shift forks line up in neutral but I'll check bearing clearances. What I've noticed is I do have the ability to shift but the Drivetrain locks up in all gears.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
fathergoat

if putting it in gear makes it bind it's usually because another gear is engaged which would mean the forks aren't lined up. have you tried putting it in gear and turning the input shaft to see if it's binding before you close the case? if it's the bearing clearance then it should be locked up even when it's in neutral when the case is back together.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 AM
eddie7978

hey fathergoat do you offer this as a service by any chance?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM
fathergoat

I'm sure you've figured out by now that I don't, sorry. Hope you found a reputable place to do it for you.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
bhmlton

Good day. I just finished rebuilding an S20 from a 94 Civic. It's the 5 speed. I test drove it last night and it was fine. I drove it in to town today to align the front end. About 15 miles. On the way home it started acting funky. It makes a lot of noise (siren like) in third gear, won't go in to fourth and some times sticks is 5th. I used Valvoline 10-40 weight oil in it after the rebuild. When in third, the stick is not all the way forward. It sometimes throws itself out of third. It's sitting out front of my house right now cooling off. I thought I'd let it cool down and then try to see if it makes a difference. Any ideas on what may be happening? It was running so sweet.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
fathergoat

It kind of sounds like something happened to a bearing. Setting the clearances too tight or having something binding could easily cause a quick failure. Either way I would say you're going to have to open it up and check it out to know for sure.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:16 AM
bhmlton

Originally Posted by fathergoat
It kind of sounds like something happened to a bearing. Setting the clearances too tight or having something binding could easily cause a quick failure. Either way I would say you're going to have to open it up and check it out to know for sure.
I was kind of hoping for a shift linkage problem, but it doesn't seem likely given the construction of the linkage. Not much to adjust. I installed a kit from Vital Parts that had all new bearings, seals and synchros. This will be the third time I've had to pull this thing. On the upside, I've gotten to the point that I can have the trans out in about two hours or less.

I want to thank you for this posting. Between this and the manual, I managed to get this transmission apart and back together.

Last edited by bhmlton; 02-13-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:33 AM
fathergoat

When you get it apart double check you're clearances, torque, and check the shift forks to make sure they aren't cracked or anything like that. And when you fill it back up us a 10w-30 SF/SG(usually labeled "for old cars"), or penzoil syncromesh. The new SJ(most common) stuff is actually a little too slippery and can cause some grinding when shifting. I don't think it has anything to do with your current issue but it may help prevent other problems.

On the bright side you will know your transmission very well when it's all said and done.

Quick Reply: DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)