Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

loosening your crankshaft pulley bolt..

Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
MeanGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosening your crankshaft pulley bolt..

i tried to work on my timing belt last week, but i ran into a problem - getting the bolt loose on the crankshaft pulley.

i tried my electric impact wrench (worked so easily on the axle hub bolt removal) but it didnt do anything even with the pulley tool i got from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-64879...3847992&sr=8-1 aka
Alltrade 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool

so i found this link : http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...99009f24df.htm

used a jack stand like they recomended with my breaker bar and the alltrade removal tool, and it broke loose right away!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Daves03
DAVES03

i found out really quick that you can have the worlds best impact gun ingersoll rand but you need the air flow, my air gun will not pull the bolt out at all unless the standup air compressor i have is completely full i mean ran up to max psi and off from pumping still it takes a couple of good raps on the
gun to get it out, but once the bolt came out pretty much the harmonic balancer and pulley fell off.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:44 AM
941crx
junkyard junkie

I found for getting my crankshaft pulley bolt out was to remove the starter (I have a manual transmission) turn the flywheel till I found a decent opening to put a crowbar into it and jam it so it doesn't move. Then, take a breaker bar with an extension (aka cheater bar) and turn that pulley bolt it'll make a pop but it's ok I've done it to a number of cars, flywheel has never been damaged and it always works out well. Just in case you don't have an air compressor this works well
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 AM
compfreak2002

If you have a five speed its easier. If you have an automatic you gotta use an impact gun or a chain wrench to hold the crank pully tight to use the breaker bar.

For Five speeds.

I usually put my socket and breaker bar on the bolt, put the breaker bar up against the front of your upper cam mount. So its pretty snug,

This step is harder without a friend but I can usually do it myself if the car is on flat ground. Try to have the car on pavement so your tires can get good traction. Put the car in neutral, then push the car in reverse untill you get some good momentum, jump in the moving car and push in the clutch and jam the car in 4th or 5th gear, pop the clutch while the car is still moving and your crank bolt should break free.

This is how ive been doing my friends timing belts on eclipses, civics, integras and my car and I havent had any problems with getting them loose. And it shouldnt damage anything, as long as your breaker bar is up against your cam mount, I usually try to have a friend help me push and they hold the breaker bar for me so it doesnt slam into my mount or the wrench fall off. (Just keep your fingers away!!!) I read it out of a repair manual for some import I was working on. And its pretty helpful when your doing a road side repair on a water pump or timing belt!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
jrgoswick
Some old guy!

I use the pulley tool and HUGE cheater bars on break overs. Weighing 235 doesn't hurt either.

Originally Posted by compfreak2002
If you have a five speed its easier. If you have an automatic you gotta use an impact gun or a chain wrench to hold the crank pully tight to use the breaker bar.

For Five speeds.

I usually put my socket and breaker bar on the bolt, put the breaker bar up against the front of your upper cam mount. So its pretty snug,

This step is harder without a friend but I can usually do it myself if the car is on flat ground. Try to have the car on pavement so your tires can get good traction. Put the car in neutral, then push the car in reverse untill you get some good momentum, jump in the moving car and push in the clutch and jam the car in 4th or 5th gear, pop the clutch while the car is still moving and your crank bolt should break free.

This is how ive been doing my friends timing belts on eclipses, civics, integras and my car and I havent had any problems with getting them loose. And it shouldnt damage anything, as long as your breaker bar is up against your cam mount, I usually try to have a friend help me push and they hold the breaker bar for me so it doesnt slam into my mount or the wrench fall off. (Just keep your fingers away!!!) I read it out of a repair manual for some import I was working on. And its pretty helpful when your doing a road side repair on a water pump or timing belt!
Dude-that sounds HELLA dangerous even with a friend to hold it!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
kenny8585

I got an Impact electric gun that can torque around 250 pounds. Would that be good enought to remove a crank pulley bolt? I never try it..
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM
mattliston
Living and Learning FTW

get one rated to at least 600, these things get pretty friggin tight

Ive broken breaker bars and sockets trying to get the son of a gun off before
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 AM
kenny8585

Originally Posted by mattliston
get one rated to at least 600, these things get pretty friggin tight

Ive broken breaker bars and sockets trying to get the son of a gun off before

You mean 600 pound torque gun? God damn!!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:28 AM
got9k
Tuning on the daily

I always had a problem with this as well, I found that if I put a ratchet on the bolts and lined up the handle of the ratchet in the wheel well then attempted to turn the engine over briefly using the starter it was quickly loosened. Make sure the car doesn't start. LoL