Thread: Installing an engine?

Team Babu

Installing an engine?

How hard is it to install your own engine (bolt-on and play such as H22 in an Accord)? I'm not exactly the best mechanic - hell, I went to a shop to have my header put on, but I want to learn, and one of my uncles had to fork out $1,000 for a new engine to be installed into his Subbie!

So, how hard it is and what tools outside of the standard nuts/bolts/screws/drivers/wrenches would I need for this??

Thanks!
    My Ride R.I.P. PAK Accord, Friday 1/27/06

Tired of being harrassed/stereotyped? Go here!

Get sponsored!

Custom Lightz - Want some custom headlights, but don't wanna be riced out? Want HID, but don't want to pay $500 for junk? Let Custom Lightz solve your problem! Reference: Hiro.

Team Babu
    Oh, yes, and same question for tranny... Afterall, I've got an AT matted to an F22 in my Accord SE (97)...
    My Ride R.I.P. PAK Accord, Friday 1/27/06

Tired of being harrassed/stereotyped? Go here!

Get sponsored!

Custom Lightz - Want some custom headlights, but don't wanna be riced out? Want HID, but don't want to pay $500 for junk? Let Custom Lightz solve your problem! Reference: Hiro.

air tools is a must..

if you cant install your own header, i would do a lot more research before you take on something like that..
    D16Y8
    Injen CAI-EVO2 Cat Back-B&M Short Shifter-NGK Platinum Plugs-Test Pipe-Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header and Downpipe-Exedy Stage 1 Clutch-Fidanza 7lb Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone
    u + me = us
    Quote Originally Posted by AF
    Yes, because I'm a gay pilot. Good call.

ye i agree with 97civic*** as it is a lot more complicated than a header. that is simple.
    '90 Prelude, white,
    2lt EX twin carb,
    sony xplod mp3
    4 6x9 & 2 10" subs
    4 ch 200 w amp
    self install

Quote Originally Posted by PunkAssKidThe1s
    How hard is it to install your own engine (bolt-on and play such as H22 in an Accord)? I'm not exactly the best mechanic - hell, I went to a shop to have my header put on, but I want to learn, and one of my uncles had to fork out $1,000 for a new engine to be installed into his Subbie!

So, how hard it is and what tools outside of the standard nuts/bolts/screws/drivers/wrenches would I need for this??

Thanks!
    It's really not that difficult to do stuff like that and I'd encourage you to give it a try. But as others have pointed out, there is a lot more to it than just installing a header. My suggestion is to find some guys locally that you know you can trust and see if you can get some help with it. You'll learn a lot if you aren't afraid to give stuff a try. Just be smart about it so you don't cost yourself a lot or end up with a safety issue etc.

Good luck!

Todd

installin a header takes 10 min a engine 4 hrs or so if u know what ur doing and ive done plenty its quite a job and i KNOW ur not ready
    for sale96 ex seats and brackets 10096ex springsemail me adam100487@hotmail.comalso headers and AEM cold air intake

*Gold TURBO D now gold

Quote Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC View Post
    air tools is a must..
    To swap an engine? I don't think so. Tons of people do this job with standard tools, and the saying that they are a "must" is simply misinformation.

Besides standard tools and a ball joint separator the only other thing that makes the job much easier is an electric impact wrench.

How hard is it to install a tranny in a 95 Accord. I need to get step by step instruction as to how it should be done.

if the price is fair marvinp8700's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donta View Post
    How hard is it to install a tranny in a 95 Accord. I need to get step by step instruction as to how it should be done.
    Haynes manual
    i'm a TROLL

Some old guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldex420 View Post
    installin a header takes 10 min a engine 4 hrs or so if u know what ur doing and ive done plenty its quite a job and i KNOW ur not ready
    I recently assisted Specialty Performance in Rogers Arkansas install a KillerB into a Civic. Took about 2 hours for the motor AND tranny! It is a lot of work. The ONLY thing I can't say enough-MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!

Living and Learning FTW mattliston's Avatar
    air tools are for the weak of arm. and cost a LOT if you dont already own an aircompressor. much easier and cheaper to simply buy a few extension pieces , a breaker bar for added ease of turning, and maybe an iron pipe around 2 feet in length that fits somewhat snugly over the breaker bar

if you have a 92-00 civic, popping the lower ball joints, removing the axles (after draining the tranny) and pulling the engine completely is a 2-3 hour job. few plugs on each strut tower, VSS and reverse plug(if manual) and all the electricals are unplugged. unhook the shift linkage and remove the AC compressor and powersteering pump, and its time to jack teh car's front end way up, undo teh mount bolts and pull the engine out form underneath. if you have an engine hoist, its much easier, just hook that bad boy up to teh factory tranny hoist bracket and bolt the chain to the intake side of the block, say alternator bracket bolt, and jack it up jsut enough for tension, remove the mounts and brackets and jack it out

EDIT I would imagine an F series equipped accord to be similar, though I have ZERO experience with any accord. most of my experience with hodnas is honda civics/del sols and acura integras
    Last edited by mattliston; 08-15-09 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added info

Im about to do it this weekend, then I'll let you know.
    For Sale: ITR/SiR rear LCA's JDM!!!

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura