Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

bending/fixing a suspension steering knuckle

Old 10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
EKhothatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bending/fixing a suspension steering knuckle

Has anyone here had fix a steering knuckle that is slightly bent at the top from where the car was in an accident? I planned on trying to repair one myself or have an alignment shop/machine shop try to bent it back. I'd rather try this and fail and buy another knuckle then to just go out and buy a used/new knuckle which can be expensive.

My plan was to heat the area that is bent and try and bend/beat it back to nearly as straight as I can get it. The camber/caster may still be off just barely but camber can be modifed via adjustable a-arms so all those areas will be addressed for the most part.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:05 PM
delsol161

it's a possiblility. you can do it, but i wouldn't suggest it. when metal gets heated, it does tend to lose a 'lil bit of it's forged strength. however, you might be able to get away w/ it. you could use an oxy/acetalene torch to heat it, and a vice or something to bend it. i'd suggest if you do, do two things in the process. #1, remove the undamaged one to look @ as a reference while bending. #2, take it to a shop if it works, don't tel lthem what ya did, and ask them to check it. basically, to see if they notice a problem before you start driving it a lot.

really though, a junkyard replacement would prolly be your best bet...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
EKhothatch

First, Thanks for your help! The spindles aren't on the car. I have them removed. I'm doing a disc brake conversion on my EK. So I do have a good side to reference to. I was told the oxy/acetalene torch would be the thing to use. I was just going to try it with a propane torch but your saying this might not be enough heat? I have priced a junkyard/used spindle so thats probably what I'm end up going with. But I will have to order and ship it because there isn't a one in my area (we got the only wrecked 99-00 Si in the area from the boneyard).
Old 11-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

dude, think about the possibility for catastrophe with that ghetto-repaired piece failing! i mean really...not to be a dick but what the hell are you thinking?! just pay the money and do it right. metal bends once and is weakened. when it's bent back, it's weakened again. now you have a STEERING component on your car that's been weakened twice. not good.

sorry but somebody had to say it.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:26 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with Phateless. The upper part where the upper ball joint attaches? You'll probably bend it back OK, then next month you'll hit a pothole & break it.

If you can't afford a junkyard steering knuckle, then you don't even want to know what the repairs cost when it breaks.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Phateless
S2K compatible

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If you can't afford a junkyard steering knuckle, then you don't even want to know what the repairs cost when it breaks.

people try to be cheapskates on the motorcycle forums all the time about repairing torn tires and things like that. one crash will cost way more than the repair you don't want to spend your money on...think about it.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 PM
TSM

That doesent sound like a good idea at all , If it is that bent that you can see it ,it is destroyed just replace it like they said it is going to cost a lot more in the long run