Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Home-made Short Shifter

Old 10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
cs_729

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made Short Shifter

Hey... I was really bored and decided to see if i could make my own short shifter lol.. sounds dumb

I already hadda universal shift knob on.. so i took it off and cut the shifter about 3 inches off... put the shifter back on and it seems to be working fine haha.. seems shorter to me. I was going to buy a B&M short shifter anyways so i wanted to try this out to.. Gimme some feedback and let me know if i am an complete idiot or is that the general princepal of a short shifter(closer to the pivot point= shorter throws... thats my logic anyways)

Thanks Guys
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 AM
exbrick
I'd rather be driving.

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. I think there's a little more involved with a commercial short shift kit (moving the pivot so that your hand can still be in a comfortable position, or extending the bottom instead of shortening the top) but...screw it. If it works, it works.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:18 PM
cs_729

Yeah thats what i though the basic princeple was

It works pretty good considering i took a hack saw to it hahah... Thanks for the reply

Anyone out there did what i did too??? Just curious lol
Old 10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
accord2016
Accord European Model????

http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/inde...howtopic=15963
Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

ummmm yeah... the whole point of a short shifter is to decrease the length of the throw not the shifter itself.. kinda pointless to cut ur shift lever, all that did was increase the distance between you and the shift lever.. good job.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
delsol161

i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though
Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by delsol161
i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though
No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

Whatever floats your boat....:dunno:
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

good idea though
No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

good idea though

Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

good idea though