Thread: Home-made Short Shifter

Home-made Short Shifter

Hey... I was really bored and decided to see if i could make my own short shifter lol.. sounds dumb

I already hadda universal shift knob on.. so i took it off and cut the shifter about 3 inches off... put the shifter back on and it seems to be working fine haha.. seems shorter to me. I was going to buy a B&M short shifter anyways so i wanted to try this out to.. Gimme some feedback and let me know if i am an complete idiot or is that the general princepal of a short shifter(closer to the pivot point= shorter throws... thats my logic anyways)

Thanks Guys

I'd rather be driving.
    Yup, that's pretty much how it works. I think there's a little more involved with a commercial short shift kit (moving the pivot so that your hand can still be in a comfortable position, or extending the bottom instead of shortening the top) but...screw it. If it works, it works.
    2002 Accord EX 5-speed Coupe
    -Pioneer HU w/ integrated XM
    -Scangauge

Good for 40mpg+ after a few changes to the way I drive!

Yeah thats what i though the basic princeple was

It works pretty good considering i took a hack saw to it hahah... Thanks for the reply

Anyone out there did what i did too??? Just curious lol

Accord European Model???? accord2016's Avatar
    (H)ACCORD 2.0iES 16v VTEC 147cv (F20B6). Muffler Remus, supresor kat, Filter MTZ, carter protectorl, SolarCheck Gray Mirror, Blistein+Eibach, 1000Miglia 16", leader, Radio-CD BOSÉ + tweeters Sony Xplod, VTEC fixed.

i need a wrench wench Ctrld-Kaos's Avatar
    ummmm yeah... the whole point of a short shifter is to decrease the length of the throw not the shifter itself.. kinda pointless to cut ur shift lever, all that did was increase the distance between you and the shift lever.. good job.
    03 Jetta GLS - (paid for)
    99 Chevy S10 - (Paid for)

i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

On permanent hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by delsol161
    i believe the secret behind commercial shorties, is the series of lil bends & such, crossed w/ a shorter shifter. like said above, it keeps it short, but in a goot position to make a difference.

good idea though
    No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

Whatever floats your boat....

On permanent hiatus

good idea though
    No, the difference is a longer fulcrum on the shift rod end. There was nothing done to shorten the throw of the knob, so it was pretty much worthless. I actually measured the length of the Skunk2 vs my stock one and they are the same length, just the pivot point is higher up the shifter.

On permanent hiatus

good idea though

On permanent hiatus

good idea though

EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol
    soon you will feel the power of the darkside. -turdbo

On permanent hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by raiden571
    EASY CHIEF!!!! once is enough, lol
    Sorry, just had to make my point loud and clear.

Double post times two.

Yea, OK BUDDY! ^_-

please DO NOT DO THIS MOD!!!

Anyone thinking about doing this mod - don't. It's really cheap (50$ on ebay) and freaking easy as crap (took me like an hour and I knew nothing of mechanics at the time) to install a B&M shifter in my old '95 civic. I just bought a '97 ex off a guy, and he had previously cut the shifter shaft about 3-4" down. This after constant usage messed up the internals in the gearbox and cost me a new transmission (it was grinding into 3rd and 4th gears after the 8-9 months after he did it). Maybe it was just the way the guy drove the car, or maybe it was a freak accident, who knows this is just my experience that i've learned from.

$50 > new transmission.
    but that's just me and my noobieness.
    www.AboveProductions.net for all your friend/internet/any needs.

I know im a little late but i just wanted to say that cutting your shifter isnt going to hurt the internals of the tranny. A real short shifter probaably does more damage due to faster movement of shafts which could be hard on the sychros. And to make a shifter, cut a little off the top then cut the little peice of the end where the shifter hooks to the linkage and weld the little piece you cut off the top in between the ball and the bearing housing. Or buy a $10 ebay one.
    i wish my car was a transformer, life would be way easier

well hey the guy i bought my crx from did this to my shifter and it does feel shorter to me...and ya cutting it like this really would have no effect on the transmission in terms of hurting it...but are the shifters from ebay actually good? are they worth it cuz i heard they are kinda cheap and weak..

nice i should try it

Quote Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo View Post

i thought i was the only one capable of this
    1.8L Acura Integra GSR: Back where it belongs.
    3.2L Pontiac Tran-sport Montana: that things about to go.
    2.2L Honda Accord EX: Sold to my sister
    232CI Mercury Sable: Sold to some lady, by my father, while i was on a camping trip. IMM232
    http://imagegen.last.fm/minimalDark/..._vigilante.gif

heres my therory on short shifters, most of the aluminum ones ive drivin with i snapped i dont think i shift hard but yeah i snap then bitches, i have a stock shifter i cut down about 2 inches, and found a old half inch pipe layin around cut it about half an inch long used a hacksaw and cut the shifter under the ball about half way between and welded in the peice of pipe and its been holdin good for about 4 years now, i did retap the shifter and put an oem knob back on and the gears are short and quick. anyone ever heard of a robo shifter? mounts on top of the linkage instead of underneath and its over a foot long and fully adjustable
    90 CR-X Dx Now LS VTEC CRX ~11.5:1CR semi built! stock rods arp
    89 CR-X Si parts car SOLD
    88 LS VTEC HATCH now D16Y8 1/4=15.4
    86 RX-7 GXL

17 inch polished 6s Accordman95's Avatar
    does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordman95 View Post
    does anyone know if the P-spec shifters are any good? Cause I'm bout to buy one.
    are you positive you need/want a short shifter.... seems like an awful waste to me.
    232CI Mercury Sable: Sold to some lady, by my father, while i was on a camping trip. IMM232

17 inch polished 6s Accordman95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwood View Post
    are you positive you need/want a short shifter.... seems like an awful waste to me.
    I'm thinking about it, why do you say that?
    There can be only one...

Quote Originally Posted by Accordman95 View Post
    I'm thinking about it, why do you say that?
    because the throw on these shifters isn't that far. I mean, I don't have a problem shifting, do you? It's not like it's a big rig with a foot and a half of play here.

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura