Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How to Replace Rear Bumper on 97 Civic EX?

Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Ekeato1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace Rear Bumper on 97 Civic EX?

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the rear bumper on a 97 Honda Civic EX coupe?? Or how I can find directions to go about doing this?
Also, if I order the bumper, its only primed, anyone know of a auto shop that will just paint the bumper for me (preferably in or around Baltimore, MD) and how much it would cost?? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 PM
alanMI88

I've taken the rear bumper off my 96 civic lx, but I would assume its the same thing. Basically there are two plastic screws on the underside of the bumper, take those out. then open the trunk, there is a series of plastic tabs that hold the bumper on. those just pop out. You can either pry them out with a screw driver, or lie under the bumper and push them through. then it should come right off.

btw, i see that ur new, but you should post this in the civic forum. not the diy forum. the diy forum is for when you do a write up about how do do something. a lot of people post here asking for help, i did it too. just letting u know
Old 10-04-2005, 08:04 AM
a_l_e_x1

Not THAT easy. There're several plastic plugs under the trunk (just open it and you'll see them). Then, there're 2 screws (1 on each side) above the rear wheels, on back fenders, where the bumper ends.

The hardest part is to remove the only METALLIC bolt under the bumper. You'll need a square screwdriver, but in my case, it's SO rusted, that it won't move. I tried to spray it with everything I had (WD40, Silicone grease, etc.), no luck. The head isn't exactly square #2, and not #3. Somewhere in between, which makes it even harder. Maybe I'll just cut it's head off and then find another one and put it there instead.

I need to remove the bumper, coz it's cracked on the left.

Good luck,
Alex
Old 10-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Ekeato1

Thanks!!!