Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

    I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

    Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member delsol161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,219
    try running the CEL codes. seee what it comes up with.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.

  4. #4
    lots and lots of fail 98CoupeV6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit
    Posts
    23,004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
    I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

    Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    You probably busted a lot of relays.
    2003 San Marino Red Accord Coupe EX-V6 6MT
    IMM244k miles
    www.lemons300zx.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?

  6. #6
    lots and lots of fail 98CoupeV6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit
    Posts
    23,004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
    I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?
    Accord forum.
    2003 San Marino Red Accord Coupe EX-V6 6MT
    IMM244k miles
    www.lemons300zx.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member delsol161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
    Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.
    running CELs is easy. but being that it's an '87, i'm unsure how to do it. on newer hondas, there's a wire/plug comnig out of the ecu... and ya use a wire, or something to put into both openings. check your ECU, maybe it has the same thing. i agree w/
    98CoupeV6, check the Accord forum.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

  8. #8
    ThInK PiNk! DaNnYsEvEn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    481

    im with 98CoupeV6

    ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
    good luck
    95 Honda Accord Ex. Stock
    90 Honda Civic Hatch. Dohc zc
    My EF project thread

  9. #9
    Senior Member delsol161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNnYsEvEn
    ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
    good luck
    agreed, find a wiring diagram, or a diagram of the fuse box and remove the main relay. if there isn't anything obviously wrong... i'd suggest going to a shop...
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

  10. #10
    BeeEK9-R
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    43
    just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,975
    there is a main FUSE, it should be in the under hood fuse box. its a bigger fuse than the others. the main RELAY has to do you with your fuse injection and fule pump.
    98 Adriatic Blue Integra LS Sedan
    01 Electron Blue Prelude Base

    00 Anthracite Metallic Civic EX

  12. #12
    WestcoastImports.net sleepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Posts
    16
    beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

    check that...then the Main Relay.

    Good luck

  13. #13
    Senior Member delsol161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Delaware, Ohio
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by beeek9
    just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepee
    beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

    check that...then the Main Relay.

    Good luck
    makes sense, check that for sure.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

  14. #13
    Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

    Honda-Acura

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-acura.net content, comments, or advertising. Honda-acura.net is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-acura.net in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2