Thread: I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

I did a stupid thing, now I need help!

I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

try running the CEL codes. seee what it comes up with.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold
    New whip... Burgundy 1993 300zx 2+0
    ---------------------------------------------------

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.

lots and lots of fail 98CoupeV6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHondaOwner
    I reversed the polarity of my new battery in my 87 Honda Accord, when installing it. I didnt notice until I tried to start the car. It wont start now, obviously. It doesn't try to turn over at all, no click at all. The head lights work, but the radio and power windows do not work when key is turned on at all.

Is there a quick list of specific places to check for failed components, after doing something this stupid. I checked the basic fuses in the fuse box. Is there a battery fuse? I heard something about a 'main relay', and I think I can find that one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    You probably busted a lot of relays.
    2003 San Marino Red Accord Coupe EX-V6 6MT
    IMM244k miles
    www.lemons300zx.blogspot.com

I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?

lots and lots of fail 98CoupeV6's Avatar
    I talked to a mechanic, he said to try changing the main fuse before towing it down there to have it looked at. I am just not sure if the 'main relay' is the same as the 'main fuse'. Someone else on a different forum suggested the main relay. Either way, where am I looking for this 'main fuse' and/or 'main relay'. Can anyone help?
    Accord forum.
    2003 San Marino Red Accord Coupe EX-V6 6MT
    IMM244k miles
    www.lemons300zx.blogspot.com

Running CEL codes? I assume this is something easier done in a shop with a diagnostics computer. I am just wondering if it would be better just to bring it in and let the local mechanics have their way with my wallet on this one.
    running CELs is easy. but being that it's an '87, i'm unsure how to do it. on newer hondas, there's a wire/plug comnig out of the ecu... and ya use a wire, or something to put into both openings. check your ECU, maybe it has the same thing. i agree w/
    98CoupeV6, check the Accord forum.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold

im with 98CoupeV6

ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
    good luck
    95 Honda Accord Ex. Stock
    90 Honda Civic Hatch. Dohc zc
    My EF project thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaNnYsEvEn
    ive heard of this similar problem somewhere here....i belive it was the main fuse that was fried. try replacing it and see what happens.
    good luck
    agreed, find a wiring diagram, or a diagram of the fuse box and remove the main relay. if there isn't anything obviously wrong... i'd suggest going to a shop...
    Turbo del Sol - Sold

BeeEK9-R
    just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine

there is a main FUSE, it should be in the under hood fuse box. its a bigger fuse than the others. the main RELAY has to do you with your fuse injection and fule pump.
    98 Adriatic Blue Integra LS Sedan
    01 Electron Blue Prelude Base

00 Anthracite Metallic Civic EX

beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

check that...then the Main Relay.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by beeek9
    just change the battery fuse, thats it. if u wanna know before buyin the fuse. just put 2 wire on both side of the fuse and try startin the engine
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepee
    beeek is right i did the same thing once because the shit was labeled i was in a rush and didn't route the cables to the starter and ground and blew the BATTERY FUSE.

check that...then the Main Relay.

Good luck
    makes sense, check that for sure.
    Turbo del Sol - Sold

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura