Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

97 civic ex coupe rear speaker removal???

Old 07-31-2005, 09:15 PM
97civicEXVTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic ex coupe rear speaker removal???

how do u get the f-ing speakers out of the back of a civic. cant get it done
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 AM
PigPen209

I have the same problem on my 96 EX, anyone know how to do it?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Special K

You've gotta remove the back seats as well as the back side panels. Then remove the rear tray, you should be able to get the tray out by sliding it towards you. There's a few tabs that latch on underneath that you'll have to reattach later.

I've copied a few pages from the service manual that show the diagrams.
http://individual.utoronto.ca/krobertson/interior.pdf

You can get the full manual from www.hondahookup.com/manuals
Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
CleanEK

all u need 2 do is to take off the rear side panels then put ur rear seats down. after that u take off the top panel. its frusterating so be patient.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
josh_crewdson@y

You do not have to take your interior apart!!!

I replaced mine by prying up the speaker grille inserts. (plastic piece with all the holes)

then you can take the two back screws out, but to get the front ones you have to cut off the tabs on the under side.. (when you reinstall your new speakers just put screws into the speaker frame unstead of the plastic clips)

it took me 20min total wiring included..

I have a 99' Civic EX
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
cj_140

Those grilles aren't supposed to pop off, the rear deck is all one plastic piece, including the grilles. At the car audio shop i work at we always take apart 96-00 civics by taking out the rear seat, removing the side panels, and finally pulling the rear cover off. also, don't forget to take that little plastic ring off of the keyhole on the rear piece. Finally, be careful when removing the final piece, the plastic clips that hold it can be a real bitch to deal with as they break easy. you CAN bust your grilles up too but chances are it will look cheaply done.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 AM
lkailburn
college kid

had to do mine the long way too. put down rear seats, remove side plastic panels in the rear, remove the rear deck. dumb design in my opinion. they should have made the speaker cover sections removeable.

-Luke
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Tedmond

i can confirm they are a PITA to remove, but putting them back is jsut as bad. kk fold down seats, remove the left and righ panel. it has 3 screw clips on each side. Once you are done, the top tray has 3 clips on each side and 2 in the front if i remeber. SLOWLY remove this pushign upward. dont just pry away but also make sure the keyhold grommet has been removed or its gonne be tough. after you remove it should be bolted down with four 10mm bolts or 4 phillips screws. when you place the speaker in, please make sure the speaker terminals (- and +) do not touch the chassis in any way. then jsut reverse everything you did but make sure the clips sit properly.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
ahkeen

i don't even have rear speakers in mine? anyone know a good way to start? like do i just cut a hole big enough for the speakers to fit in? do i need speaker brackets so they can fit into the metal part of the car. do i need a new wiring harness
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
ninetysixsi

Check out this excellent tutorial http://lonewolf-online.net/cars/hond...rear_speakers/