Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Replacing belts on a Honda Civic 97/98

Old 07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
ScottR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing belts on a Honda Civic 97/98

Let me say 1st that I'm glad I found this place.

OK, this is my first post or thread, and I have limited mechanical skills.

I need to replace all three belts, that are on the right side of the engine. I'm not sure if I need an engine lift (hoist ?), if so then I'm out of luck. But if I can replace there belts on my own , by simply moving parts aside and doing it myself, it would mean a great deal to me. I'm not sure what these three belts help run .The middle belt is visibly in need of replacing, and my car isn't running as well as it should. I'm sorry for asking this question in a goofy way ( I'm sure you real mechanics are reading this and scratching your head) but I'd really appreciate your help. Thank You
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
ScottR

I say 97/98 because I had the engine replaced and the mechanic put in a 97 engine
Old 07-01-2005, 04:47 PM
foot

You know, little makes me more sick than an experienced person trying to make an inexperienced person feel bad or small for not knowing something. What? Are you supposed to be born knowing EVERYTHING?!

So, if anyone gives you crap tell them to shove it.

You did what any REAL mechanic would do. Ask, when they don't know.

You don't need an engine hoist to change out the belts. There should be brackets with bolts that are used to tension each of the three belts. The AC belt MIGHT go around a tiny lower engine mount that is bolted to the subframe. If it does, you can remove that mount without problem. The Alternator might not have a bolt type tensioner depending on the engine. If the alternator doesnt have a bolt type tensioner you have to use a prybar or something to put tension on the belt as you tighten the lockdown bolt. Kind of a pain but not too hard. To tell if the belt is tight enough, push or pull on the longest length of the belt when its on and it should move either direction about a half an inch with moderate pressure. The belts dont have to be REALLY tight just tight enough. Make sure you tighten all of your bolts/nuts and you're good to go.

Replacing teh belts wont solve any running problems unless one is slipping. What are the symptoms of your running problem?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:51 PM
ScottR

Originally Posted by foot
You know, little makes me more sick than an experienced person trying to make an inexperienced person feel bad or small for not knowing something. What? Are you supposed to be born knowing EVERYTHING?!

So, if anyone gives you crap tell them to shove it.

You did what any REAL mechanic would do. Ask, when they don't know.

You don't need an engine hoist to change out the belts. There should be brackets with bolts that are used to tension each of the three belts. The AC belt MIGHT go around a tiny lower engine mount that is bolted to the subframe. If it does, you can remove that mount without problem. The Alternator might not have a bolt type tensioner depending on the engine. If the alternator doesnt have a bolt type tensioner you have to use a prybar or something to put tension on the belt as you tighten the lockdown bolt. Kind of a pain but not too hard. To tell if the belt is tight enough, push or pull on the longest length of the belt when its on and it should move either direction about a half an inch with moderate pressure. The belts dont have to be REALLY tight just tight enough. Make sure you tighten all of your bolts/nuts and you're good to go.

Replacing teh belts wont solve any running problems unless one is slipping. What are the symptoms of your running problem?
Thank you so much for your understanding, and your help.
The car seems to have a tranny slipping or something, but there's one belt that is really worn down.
There are three belts on the right side of my engine, and the middle one is bad.
My engine is reving slow and fast (mostly when the car is just started and taking off) I've had the engine replaced twice, and it seems like the tranny is the problem this time.
I'm acually taking the shop that did the repairs to small claims court. They over charged and took thier sweet time (8 hour job in 4 and a half weeks at $1,900 bucks) and then four months later the engine seized again, and they charged me $800 bucks (on my "6 month warrenty" mind you) So bottom line is, I don't know what the real problem is but, I know one of them is the belts.
If you've heard of this before, or may have an idea. PLEASE get back to me...TY.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would find a new mechanic if I were you.

The belts aren't hard. There are tensioning bolts like foot said on each of the accessories that the belt runs. Loosen those and the belt should slip off. Don't worry about removing that engine mount, the engine will not fall out. Put the new belts on and tension them like foot described. The hardest part about the job is the limited space that you have to work with.

I would suggest picking up a shop manual so you can do minor maintenence like this by yourself to avoid getting ripped off by mechanics.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Special K

Hey! You can get a shop/service manual (as Shmoo suggested) from here.....
http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals
As well, if you're in need of some mechanical info, check out
www.howstuffworks.com
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 PM
j_gutierrez

I have a question for everyone, i know nothing about cars but im looking into buying a 98 honda civic but the ac belt is broken off. How much is that to fix, just the parts alone